Anyone done a 5 speed conversion on an early A?

-

MoparPowa

Reaction score
Just like the title says I'm having a tough time on deciding what trans to run behind a 5.7 hemi in my 66 Dart. Just curious if anyone has done this conversion, their thoughts on it, and any pictures of what modifications we're required. My car is a stock automatic with column shift and I want to go with a stock floor console setup to match the 66 barracuda dash I'm transplanting.

Thanks,
Ryan

The Tremec 5-speed install isn't that difficult, but it's more involved than simply cutting a hole in the tunnel and making a new hump. You'll need to completely remove the center of the tunnel and construct a new hoop over the torsion bar crossmember. I took a hybrid approach of severely hogging out the top of the Tremec box on a Bridgeport mill and then butchering and reinforcing the factory hoop (effectively making it a box tube) to obtain clearance and proper driveline angle.

That said, I can't think of a mod I've made that I've been happier with on my 65 Barracuda. I've attached a link to some pictures. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq256/65Silverfish/Cuda/Tremec Installation/

Same as SilverFish. Lots of cutting to be done but the result is great. Just can't wait to finally get mine on the road. The TKO-500 is a nice unit

-
Back