anyone dumping the exhaust right after the rearend

-

71swing

Reaction score
Does anyone dump the exhaust just after it passes over the rearend and on it way back down? Any pictures of this?

I currently have a TTI headers with full Magnaflow exhaust to the tips. I never cared for the look of tips sticking out from below the bumper. I didnt want to dump before then rearend like most I've seen because I don't want something terribly loud that shakes every window in the neighborhood and causes the drone nobody wants. I thought if I could cut the tails as they come back down from over the rearend and maybe direct them slightly outward back they would not be too much louder than full tails. I would want them tucked up enough to not be seen but low enough to keep the exhaust carbons off the car underneath.

Any ideas?

Does anyone dump the exhaust just after it passes over the rearend and on it way back down? Any pictures of this?

I currently have a TTI headers with full Magnaflow exhaust to the tips. I never cared for the look of tips sticking out from below the bumper. I didnt want to dump before then rearend like most I've seen because I don't want something terribly loud that shakes every window in the neighborhood and causes the drone nobody wants. I thought if I could cut the tails as they come back down from over the rearend and maybe direct them slightly outward back they would not be too much louder than full tails. I would want them tucked up enough to not be seen but low enough to keep the exhaust carbons off the car underneath.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have the right idea. Down and out at the same time would be fine

I've often wondered if a person could use a Chevy nova (eg) type of exhaust on an A body. Kind of like would be used on a '71 ss nova with the exhaust exiting just behind the rear tires. I'm sure that you could get that system fairly cheap through the big mail order houses. I don't know if those tail pipes would work or not. something to look into maybe. I know back in the day we would just dump the exhaust just in front of the rear axles but that was for "stealth" reasons. (street racing back in the 80's)

I personally do not like the exit sound coming from underneath the car itself, makes it hard to hear the passenger and than there's the under dirt.. I run a straight back from the headers right under the rear to 4 inch SuperTrapps and I cannot hear its exhaust and if I want it either louder or quieter, I just add or subtract the discs, works well in stainless for the past 20 odd years :)
360033.jpg

I personally do not like the exit sound coming from underneath the car itself, makes it hard to hear the passenger and than there's the under dirt.. I run a straight back from the headers right under the rear to 4 inch SuperTrapps and I cannot hear its exhaust and if I want it either louder or quieter, I just add or subtract the discs, works well in stainless for the past 20 odd years :)

I thought about super traps on my truck...

my exhaust runs from the headers to the mufflers over the rearend and down.you cant see it looking at the car. i'm not a fan of seeing ex tips either.my car is fairlyquiet when idling,but you hear it when you hit it

mine dumps under the car, before the axle, has tips that angle outward some.

Mine is the same, only dumps down, this year I plan to exit them out behind the rear wheels on my early A-body, but have them turn down and tuck up high enough so thet can't be seen :glasses7:

Turndowns kick up dirt so i use short pipes out of muffler less drone too

-
Back