Anyone ever break the adjustment bolt on the torsion bars before?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Hey all
Have any of you ever broke the head off of the torsion bar adjustment bolt? I got the height where I wanted it and I tryed to get just a little more and," bam " I twisted off the passenger side bolt. Any ideas on how to get the broken one out? I thought about taking a torch and cutting the bolt out and it should free up the adjuster and, I know it will make a big bang when I cut through the bolt. I did this on this side at least two years ago and it was the original adjuster but what happened than was the threads ripped right out of the adjuster. It made a big bang then. I'm running the SS springs and I'm using the adjustable hanger on the front of the springs to compensate for the difference in ride hieght from using the SS springs? Maybe I need to make sure both springs are mounted in the same holes on each side. It must be puting more weight on to the passenger side torsion bar? What do think?
Pat Faley
"Fuzzman"
67 NB S Clone
Peoria IL

Get the torch out!

If you need another bolt/adjuster let me know. Pay shipping and it's yours

Hey all
I'm running the SS springs and I'm using the adjustable hanger on the front of the springs to compensate for the difference in ride hieght from using the SS springs? Maybe I need to make sure both springs are mounted in the same holes on each side.
Pat Faley
"Fuzzman"
67 NB S Clone
Peoria IL

If you are running the adjustable front hangers I would think you would want to be using the same hole on each side.

Like was mentioned…… Adjust your torsion bars with the front jacked up (you will need to jack it up, adjust, lower the car, bounce it around, repeat).

I think I called and talked to Mancini about that adjustable front hanger because the car was up higher on one side in the rear so, they suggested using the adjustable spring hangers and to set one side on the top hole and the other side in the bottom so, thats what I did. It's been that way for a couple of years. Like I said this is the second adjuster that has screwed up. I went a head and ordered a new one from mancini and I will change the passenger side spring to where both sides on are in the bottom hole. Thanks for all the replys so far.

Fuzzman

Been there, done that. Put a pipewrench on the torsion bar socket in the control arm and jack up on the end of the wrench, this will take the tension off the adjuster so you can wiggle it out of the control arm.

Also remember, it is not only the handling affected but the effectiveness of the braking! While it may seem to handle good because everything is cooperating, if the tread is not against the ground properly, braking is compromised: NOT GOOD!

-
Back