Anyone ever pull a small block out of a van??

-
I pulled and replaced a 318 out the passenger door of a 73' Maxivan. Remove the intake and heads and pull the shortblock. Pretty easy that way and goes back in the same way. No need to mess with the grill, core support or cut anything. Take out seat and door.

What Dusti said, unbolt trans and support or remove as necessary, take the intake and heads off, slips out theright side door..nothing torn up...

It is a lot easier to take it out the front than thru the side where you have to take of the heads and intake..and you don't have to put them on again.

My brothers's 97 1 ton with a 360.

WoodenBoats2001.jpg

I pulled a 360 out of a '72 Dodge RV before, just remove the grille, radiator, and maybe the front bumper. I also took the dist. and carb. of the engine. It wasn't too bad of a job, the worst part was it was done at a junkyard in the middle of Nov. around -10 outside and snowing.

I have a 85 maxi van with 360 4 barrel and 727. Have thought for years I should pull the engine and trans and junk the rest, not a bad body and still starts and drives, but have not been able to sell for $500. Right now it is dry storage

If you are planning on junking the van after the pull much easier, wire cutters to unhook wiring, saw zall to get other stuff and if you have to a socket and wrench if needed

For some reason I didn't see it that way on my 73 1 ton Tradesman. Easy to take off the intake and heads, no bs settin on top the engine in those years and the dash allows a little more clearance out the side than the 97. But then I just couldn't bring my self to dismantle the whole front end when I didn't need to. Just me. To each his own8)
It is a lot easier to take it out the front than thru the side where you have to take of the heads and intake..and you don't have to put them on again.

My brothers's 97 1 ton with a 360.

WoodenBoats2001.jpg

I did a chevy once, We just cut the front off the van. Made it easy,LOL

A flame wrench and a sawsall are the easy method on a van. anthing in your way just cut it.

First, are you sure it's a 340? Have you ran the numbers? There are a lot of people selling stuff that don't really know what it is. If it's original to the van it's probably a 318 or 360. I recently got a good deal on a 4-bolt 350 SBC that the guy thought was a 307.

Did a lot of these. Carb plate, bolt (where the chain on the cherrypicker goes) through hole in carb plate, lotsa room. If you are scrapping the van, the easiest way IMHO is to sawzall just behind top of windshield and across floor from the dogbox opening right out the door openings. Unbolt the trans crossmember first. Presto! Engine, trans, rad, and front susp all in one shot. Most of the front susp is the same as 2wd pickups (upper and lower control arms, springs, spindles, brakes). Steering box is same as C-body. If you don't have a cherrypicker, the sawzall is definitly the way to go. Pick it straight up from behind the dash with a chain hoist after you cut the van in half.

-
Back