Anyone familiar with Daytonas?

-
I've never had a problem with the head gasket going out on my 89 Daytona, even with the boost turned up.:thumblef:

Tony, there was no such thing as an affordable digital camera back when I started doing this so I will have to scan some of the old "paper" photos from 1994 and later. I have 16 years worth hanging at work.

Funny how the car never changes but everything around it did. Reminds me of the Jules Verne movie with the time machine.

Yes, it is brand new and still smells that way inside. It stays sealed up in a temperature controlled climate.

Want to buy it? :)

Tom

Tony, there was no such thing as an affordable digital camera back when I started doing this so I will have to scan some of the old "paper" photos from 1994 and later. I have 16 years worth hanging at work.

Funny how the car never changes but everything around it did. Reminds me of the Jules Verne movie with the time machine.

Yes, it is brand new and still smells that way inside. It stays sealed up in a temperature controlled climate.

Want to buy it? :)

Tom

Tom,

Sure I'd like to have it, but my plate is really full. Besides, you need it for the photos.

If you scan and post up some more pics that would be great. I like your line:

"Funny how the car never changes but everything around it did."

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Found a few more.

daymilesDSCN6270.jpg

daytonareartire.jpg

emmabecky.jpg

intDSCN6262.jpg

turboDSCN6281.jpg

tagDSCN6274.jpg

underday.jpg

You can see oil on the lower radiator hose and some drips from the plastic belt/splash guard. Over 20 years ago, the AC compressor seal leaked and the oil has been slowly dripping from the compressor. The belt has been off for many year so as to not throw oil into the hood pad when I run it each year.

I have a whole bunch of shots from last year but they are on a disc. I can find them if anyone needs any images for restoration of their 1984.

The engine/car has 180 operating hours on it.

Ad says Turbo I, so I would assume a 2.5.

Turbo II's were the 2.2 intercooled motors, and put out more power due to higher boost. Most 5 speed cars of that era were the intercooled motors, in 1990 it could have been a VNT. Not sure they did a later (after 88 or 89) factory 2.5 5 speed until 92 when they did away with the Turbo IV motors (DOHC Lotus head motor).

I didn't go to MP for the gasket this time, though. I bought a Felpro, and it seems they have improved it some. The gasket failed at the passenger side rear corner where it pushed the gasket out between the block and head. Now that area is wrapped with metal, kind of like the fire ring at the bore.

Turbo IV motors are VNT (variable nozzle turbo), the TIII is the DOHC Lotus motor and they are $$$$

i have an 89 CSX (TIV) and a 89 Shelby Daytona (TII). the only time i see head gaskets fail are from overheating, too much boost, or timing off.... i have used MP and just tried a felpro as well since i heard they redesigned them but i dont worry about it either as its an easy fix if ya blow one.

Just an update. Me and a buddy of mine went up to look at the Daytona. Pretty clean and drove real nice. Shifted good. I left him a deposit and the weekend after Christmas is when i'll be picking it up. It's not perfect but needs some small things. Back up lights are out. Back seat needs to be put back in. The biggest thing is the speedometer not working. Other than that just needs a good cleaning. Im excited about it. Sure does snap your neck when the turbo kicks in lol

oh and this is a 2.5

Just an update. Me and a buddy of mine went up to look at the Daytona. Pretty clean and drove real nice. Shifted good. I left him a deposit and the weekend after Christmas is when i'll be picking it up. It's not perfect but needs some small things. Back up lights are out. Back seat needs to be put back in. The biggest thing is the speedometer not working. Other than that just needs a good cleaning. Im excited about it. Sure does snap your neck when the turbo kicks in lol

oh and this is a 2.5

ThAt's great! I never tired of the turbo rush.

Try replacing the speed/distance sensor first, if that doesn't work, replace gear in speedo or find one junkyard/eBay

ThAt's great! I never tired of the turbo rush.

Try replacing the speed/distance sensor first, if that doesn't work, replace gear in speedo or find one junkyard/eBay

Are those hard to replace? What about the cable? or are these electronic?

Are those hard to replace? What about the cable? or are these electronic?

No cable...electronic

Remove the heat shield on the firewall next to the turbo. (2) 10 mm
bolts. Now you can see the speedo sensor on the tail shaft of the tranny.
It has a pigtail plugged into it. I think it has (1) 10mm bolt holding it in.
Might have to remove the rear bobble strut to get to the bolt.

If the mph part is working but it doesn't record any miles, I would say speedo gear in the dash. This is a common problem. You can buy the little plastic gear for less than $30.00

Just search Mopar speedometer gear

oh man, I thought you were talking about one of these.
Daytona179.jpg

I don't know jack about the newer ones though.

No cable...electronic

Remove the heat shield on the firewall next to the turbo. (2) 10 mm
bolts. Now you can see the speedo sensor on the tail shaft of the tranny.
It has a pigtail plugged into it. I think it has (1) 10mm bolt holding it in.
Might have to remove the rear bobble strut to get to the bolt.

If the mph part is working but it doesn't record any miles, I would say speedo gear in the dash. This is a common problem. You can buy the little plastic gear for less than $30.00

Just search Mopar speedometer gear

Thanks for the info. Thats something i'll have to look at. Both the speedometer and odometer are not working. So I am hoping I don't have to dig around beneath the dash lol

-
Back