Anyone have a custom dash?...looking for ideals...

-

Smooth69Dart

Reaction score
New guy here with a future mod and for the record, believe it will help other members as well.

I have a really nice set of Stewart Werner gauges 6 to be exact and would like to see how you redid your dash to look stock...I am wanting to see what you did or how you did your dash to accept after market gauges.

Examples I am looking for are material used and how...like did you use ABS pipe, exhaust tubing for the gauge pods or did you just flush mount them on a flat sheet of aluminum....I'm just looking for ideals on what looks good or what may look like crap cuz I only want to do this once.

So lets see what you did...also, I was looking at the 70 and up darts...didn't they have sunken GT style dash? and would the face fit my 69 dash?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer

if you do a search on this there is i know one big thread and then several small ones of people who have rocky mountain dashes and ones who have created their own to look even better than RMD (plus better quality control).

Had a rocky mountain style dash - didnt like it, looked a bit too basic for my taste. Made this by hand using 3 ml aluminum sheet and 4.5 inch tubing, in basic shape of factory instrument bezel only for a right hand drive car (as mine is). Mounted classic instruments white hot gauges (white, to match my 4 speed white ball console shifter) behind the large openings (so you cant see the guage bezel) for more of a factory look (dont like the look of aftermarket gauges just stuck onto a piece of flat sheet) and used angled bezel under the accessory gauges to make them sit at the correct angle. Added "Splitfire" gauge bezels to the accessory gauges to match the look of the large gauge openings in the dash. Finished it all in back wrinkle finish. Easy enough to do with basic skills (like mine), and welding the 3 ml aluminum didnt prove too hard.

CIMG1576.JPG

CIMG1741.JPG

CIMG1745.JPG

CIMG1746.JPG

CIMG1728.JPG

WOW!!...that really looks the parts...the gauges almost look like they're floating!...very well done sydcuda:toothy10:

Smooth,
I only have the fab work done, the electronics is down the road. I did get the radar dector's heads up display built over the weekend as well.
Andrew
By the way Sy great looking work.

dash blank 1.jpg

dash blank 2.jpg

dash blank 3.jpg

dash moc-up.jpg

dash moc-up2.jpg

WTF?...what dash is that cluster from...and how did you get that radar thingy in the dash?...I was sitting in my car (bench seat) and couldn't even see the dash that well...I was thinking of moving the speed and tach up a little higher...but we'll see how things look after I install the Cuda buckets.

I really like the dash so far...is that steel construction?

WTF?...what dash is that cluster from...and how did you get that radar thingy in the dash?...I was sitting in my car (bench seat) and couldn't even see the dash that well...I was thinking of moving the speed and tach up a little higher...but we'll see how things look after I install the Cuda buckets.

I really like the dash so far...is that steel construction?

Andrew has a lot of info available on this car. Search for "Blue Missile" and you will be led to the threads.

Depending on how much time and money you want to spend, you might consider what I did. I took the less painful route, and pretty much used instruments I had on hand. Purchased speedo and tach, however. Used a sheet of about 1/8" thick aluminum

Dart Dash 005 (600 x 400).jpg

Dart Dash 004 (600 x 400).jpg

Dart Dash 003 (600 x 400).jpg

Dart Dash 006 (600 x 400).jpg

That's a really nice wiring job...I noticed that you used connectors to remove the dash if needed...very nice work!...I do the same thing when I make custom dashes...use LEDs for turn and high beam indicators and brake warning light.

I too am wanting to upgrade my dash and guages.... but I love the look of the rectangle speedo. Has anybody added guages but retained the factory speedo????

It just goes to show how many different looks can be achieved with different materials....all of them very impressive indeed!

smooth,
yes its 16ga steel. The cluster will be from Nordstok and assembled from individual gauges.
Andrew

I used all autometer gauges, 5" tach and speedo and 2 5/8" gas gauge, all fit in the stock location with alittle trimming. I then used 1/8" LED light for the turn signals and high beam. nice dash for no money other than gauges and $10 for the LED's

DSC04456-1.jpg

DSC04455-1.jpg

Just out of curiosity...anyone able to get me a template I could use to make a blank panel for my 68 dart dash? I'm working out of state, and the car is 10 hours away from me, but I like to get bits/pieces made while I'm on the road.

-
Back