anyone have a problem with the rear wheel well wrecking your tires?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I know... I shouldn't have such wide tires then, but I like how it looks.
The thing is that the tires fit just fine, but I swear the lip on the inside of the wheel well is at least 2" in, and sharp! I have new tires, and they are already chewed to sh*t! I put in air shocks and it's much better, but once in a while it hit a bump I don't see, and crunch! and it hurts! One of these times I'm expecting the tires just to blow. Now I don't even drive it that much.

Is there a way to eliminate that lip? The thing that sounds stupid is that there is no rust at all, and I feel bad cutting or bending metal that is in mint shape after 35 years of life and I'll be the guy to F it up!

Should I just try to bend the lip up and try not to care? I know it seems odd I guess, I just like to say to guys, "hey, check out my quarter panel... no rust" if I cut it or modify it in anyway, it will just look like the rust was cut out.

I'm strange, I know.

You have 2 options.

Get a wheel and tires that fit (if your body hits the tire they don't fit regardless of how you spin it)

or

Modify the rear of the car (spring relocation, mini tub, roll the fender lip... for example).

The rear fender lips are pretty wide and you can trim them down - at least across the top, making sure you stay away from the spot welds that hold it to the wheel house. 1/4" for sure, maybe up to a half inch. The question is, even after trimming are you going to have interference issues? If you do trim them (a thin wheel on a 4.5" grinder will do it quick and clean) be sure to seal the bare metal with some paint to prevent rust. Run some 3/4" masking tape along the lip to give you a line to follow.

i cut mine away to nothing i posted some pics on another thread somwhere on the wheel and tire board

1qwickScamp... ohhh ohhh where?? I'll take a look! Grinder huh? I still have to find stock paint somewhere...

Thanks!

How close are tey on the leaf spring. Yu may need to get some wheels to set the tire in more.

fishman, your right. That is what i should do, but I don't have the cash to buy more rims. I may just cut or roll.

i bumped it to the top of the home page check it out its titled mr kidd he had ask me for some pics before

I have 275/50 15s on 8 inch wheels with 4.50 BS and they rub like crazy even with the lip rolled. Tried for over 6 months to get a set of American TT II rims wit 5 inch BS which would take care of the problem. Finally gave up and had a company in WA state make me a set of steelies with 5 inch BS. Work fine now. I have about 3/2 inch on th spting side nd almost an inch on the outer lip. I moved the springs inboard with e relocation kit (0.80") I think is what it moves them.

Larry

Yea, I have 265/50/15's. Its not that bad though really... Maybe I will try to roll the lip? At least then if it hits, it's hitting the rolled part and not a sharp edge! What did you use to do that???

Mine was bare metal at the time in the paint shop so I didn't have to worry about preserving the paint. I have a couple of pairs of these sheet metal benders that are about 6" wide and lock like vise grips. Used those to get most of the bend then a body hammer using a piece of 2" I-beam as a backer brought the lip up nicely. After it was rolled up then I cut it evenly with a cutoff wheel.

Larry

-
Back