Anyone have Eddie carb tricks/mods?

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
I have a 650avs on my 318. I have tweaked the accellerator pump linkage as much as possible, and have installed the largest availible shooters (.043) and the dang thing runs great. It gets as much gas as soon as possible the way the linkage is, its on the top hole and the rod has been tweaked for a little more/faster leverage. I'm almost looking to get to the point where it has too much fuel so i can back it off, it runs fine now...but i havent seen its limit..that make any sense?

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions, I'm thinking drilling one of the pairs of jets up a size and see how that does me. Opening the air door sooner won't really help because that willl make it suck the gas out of the carb rather than it shoot it into it at the first crack of the throttle.

Any suggestions on modifications? tweaking of things?

Holley/Demon is out of the question realy, its daily driven, im comfortable with working on the eddie. :headbang: Thanks

Goody, May be time to buy a Jet and metering rod kit for it. I ran a 600 Eddy on my old motor and it worked really well. After making a few changes to the motor I devoped a lean surge and had to richen the cruise curcuit up. The chart is a little tricky to read at first but once you figure it out they're really easy to work on and well worth the time to tune it.

AdamR said:
Goody, May be time to buy a Jet and metering rod kit for it. I ran a 600 Eddy on my old motor and it worked really well. After making a few changes to the motor I devoped a lean surge and had to richen the cruise curcuit up. The chart is a little tricky to read at first but once you figure it out they're really easy to work on and well worth the time to tune it.

Yep i have one with the different jets, metering rods and metering rod springs. the a/f ratio seems pretty well set. I'm looking for a tad more off the line. :scratch:

If theres no bog off the line I dont think you'll find anything in the carb to help your 60ft times.

43 is a pretty big shooter too, I think its time for more carb.

Maybe you guys can help me sort out the trouble I'm having with my Edelbrock carb. I cant remember if its 600 or 625 cfm. But anyway I has a bad stumble a little off idle. The car starts move, then the stumble, then keep pushing the trottle and it goes past the stumble and really takes off.
I dont need to accelerate hard from a stop to make it happen. It happens even if i'm accelerating slowly.
I believe it even does it when going from cruise to accelerate - at speed.

Its basically a brand new carb. Bought it 5 years ago, used it a few months, then stored it. I beleive it was doing the same thing back then.

The only thing I did to it then was changed out the metering rods/jets and went two sizes smaller because I'm at 5000+ft altitude.

Looking down the carb, it seems to give a pretty good accelerator pump shot.

Any Ideas ?

p.s. Its a 318, with 340 cam and exhaust manifolds, Performer dualplane intake. 904 auto with 3:23 gears

SuperScamp said:
Maybe you guys can help me sort out the trouble I'm having with my Edelbrock carb. I cant remember if its 600 or 625 cfm. But anyway I has a bad stumble a little off idle. The car starts move, then the stumble, then keep pushing the trottle and it goes past the stumble and really takes off.
I dont need to accelerate hard from a stop to make it happen. It happens even if i'm accelerating slowly.
I believe it even does it when going from cruise to accelerate - at speed.

Its basically a brand new carb. Bought it 5 years ago, used it a few months, then stored it. I beleive it was doing the same thing back then.

The only thing I did to it then was changed out the metering rods/jets and went two sizes smaller because I'm at 5000+ft altitude.

Looking down the carb, it seems to give a pretty good accelerator pump shot.

Any Ideas ?

p.s. Its a 318, with 340 cam and exhaust manifolds, Performer dualplane intake. 904 auto with 3:23 gears

Have you messed with any of the pump shot adjustments? id say for your combo the middle or low hole with the gearing. Also the metering rod springs, they come in a tuning kit, possibly something there.

OK, I went out and did a little messing around with the dart.
The accelerator pump rod was on the middle hole. I tried the upper hole and the lower hole, going for a drive after each change. Basically neither adjustment seemed to make any noticable difference.

Theres a thread going about this subject over a the "other" site. Someone there suggested going with stiffer springs on the metering rods.
I have the tuning kit for my carb which has several different sets of springs.

Guess I'll try messing around with that a little tomorrow and see if it helps.

OK, looks like I might have it fixed,,,, or at least much improved.

I changed out the metering rod springs to the stiffest ones in the kit. It made a very noticable difference. I dont think its completely cured, theres still a little hesitation, but not the stumble like it had before.

Now that i've made this change, I need to try the pump shot adjustment again and see if it helps a little more. But basically I'm pretty happy with it now, at least it doesn't fall on its face every time you start out like it was doing.

-
Back