Anyone have problems with AFM lifters/cam on 2015 and up 5.3 GM engine?

-

340doc

Reaction score
I was looking to update my daily pickup and found a real nice 2015, 1500 High Country with 44,000 miles at a Chevy dealer. During my research on them I came across a lot of complaints and failures with cam and lifters relating to the Active Fuel Management system. I'm spooked now and am considering passing. From my research its happened to trucks with various mileage. Anyone on here have this issue or can contribute more info? Thanks.

Can you get the maintenance records for the vehicle? Dirt or dirty oil is one of the biggest issues with this engine. Push rod wear, rocker wear, plugged screen beneath the oil pressure sender, blown out pan gasket where the oil gallery transfers oil from pan to block, anything that can cause the oil pressure to give the computer a reading of less than 22lbs may cause an AFM lifter to lock or jam in the deactivated position and then there's a hellava clatter. Keep the engine clean and it'll go a long time! Those vehicles have a "it's time to change your oil now or oil life reminder" that often gets ignored. Ask for some proof of the maintenance.

Can you get the maintenance records for the vehicle? Dirt or dirty oil is one of the biggest issues with this engine. Push rod wear, rocker wear, plugged screen beneath the oil pressure sender, blown out pan gasket where the oil gallery transfers oil from pan to block, anything that can cause the oil pressure to give the computer a reading of less than 22lbs may cause an AFM lifter to lock or jam in the deactivated position and then there's a hellava clatter. Keep the engine clean and it'll go a long time! Those vehicles have a "it's time to change your oil now or oil life reminder" that often gets ignored. Ask for some proof of the maintenance.
Appreciate the info, thanks. You seem to have good knowledge of these engines, are you a tech?

Where their made/assambled. 1=USA. 2=Canada. 3=Mexico. I have had many vehicals over the years. Not 1 was any dam good when made/assambled in Mexico. I’ll never ever buy 1 again with the dreaded 3. I have many friends and relatives that feel as I do. 1 of my friends didn’t make it 100 kilometers when the tranny crapped out on the way home from the dealer. Brand new truck. Kim

Where their made/assambled. 1=USA. 2=Canada. 3=Mexico. I have had many vehicals over the years. Not 1 was any dam good when made/assambled in Mexico. I’ll never ever buy 1 again with the dreaded 3. I have many friends and relatives that feel as I do. 1 of my friends didn’t make it 100 kilometers when the tranny crapped out on the way home from the dealer. Brand new truck. Kim
Thanks for the info

-
Back