Anyone here have hands on with TPM sensors

-

Reaction score
I have an 09 Nissan Im trying to get ready, at least two bad sensors, batteries prob. dead. One guy told me that no matter where I got the sensors theyd need to be activated and programmed for the vehicle, my buddy at Kaufman yesterday told me that I can go on E-bay, type in OE 09 Altima TPM sensors and put them in, the vehicle would recognize and automatically read them.

He also told me I could get them on E-bay cheap but looking there I see they are really no cheaper than local parts store wants ( 50 a piece )

So whats the truth about these things?

Car is for re-sale so I dont want to spend any more than necessary.

Most of the TPMS sensors I've dealt with needed to be programed.
Your buddy at Kaufman is only kinda right.
Chrysler's and Mazda's will go into relearn by just driving, others need to be programed.
I've learned that using aftermarket TPMS sensors are bad about losing their program. But if you're going to sell the car, its not really a problem. The sensors that you currently have may be ok, they just need to go back into a relearn mode.

There is a plug under the left side knee bolster that needs to be jumped to put into programming mode, and a TPMS tool is needed to program

Get em, put 'em in. If they work OTB you're ahead of the game. If they take a few miles to sync, you're still ahead of the game.

If you have to take it to a tire shop and have them programmed then you're right back where you started from and have lost nothing.

And I agree with gunbunny. Aftermarket are hit and miss, even Dorman.

100% buy OE's , you can find Feebay deals or Amazon if You look, if You find the local dealer a bit steep. The price has come down on a number of them recently. Some auto-
learn some don't, even within the same brand, even within the same model(high-line vs low-line) as stated.....nothing to lose by just putting them in & rollin' 'em 1st.

I sell them at work. All the ones for your car on the OReilly web site say TPMS programming needed.

-
Back