anyone know about 87 broncos?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
im planning to go look at one tomorrow
i mostly want it as a plow vehicle

anything in particular i should look for, or avoid?
any known problem areas (other then being a ford) ?

I am guessing it's a full size Bronco since you are going to use it for a plow vehicle? A little more info wouldn't hurt.

The team or the SUV?

Sorry, I had to. All I know is that a friend of mine just bought a bronco II and I really like them.

I am guessing it's a full size Bronco since you are going to use it for a plow vehicle? A little more info wouldn't hurt.
Didn't even know they come in different sizes

It's an 87 2 door, with removable top, 351W and c6 4x4 transmission (with Trans go shift kit)

And that is about all the add said

Last edited:
Didn't even know they come in different sizes

It's an 87 2 door, with removable top, 351 Cleveland and c6 4x4 transmission (with Trans go shift kit)

And that is about all the add said
A 351 suggests full size.

Very cool

I think the little ones had 2.8 or 2.9 and maybe 4.0.

It aint a Cleveland unless somebody swapped it in. The Cleveland's last year was 1974. And it aint a 351M unless somebody swapped it in because their last year was 1982, so it's probably a 351W.

Most of the full size Broncos were pretty badass and reliable. The C6 behind a small block will be pretty much indestructible......behind a big block either for that matter.

I had a '96 Bronco with the 351. It was a tank. Just look for the usual frame and body rust and suspension bushings. Just go over it with a basic mechanical evaluation and trust your instincts. Those trucks were solid and well built.

Any chance I can tell where the engine was build with it installed?

A full size should be pretty easy to find parts for. basically a short F 150

Mine was a '96, last year for the Bronco...

96 Bronco 4.jpg

The 351W has six bolts holding the valve covers on, like all other Windsor small blocks. The 351C, 351M and 400 all have 8 bolts holding the valve covers on. From the 221 to the 400, they are all small blocks. A lot of people think the Cleveland family (351C, 351M and 400) are big blocks. They are not. They all share the same bore spacing as the 221, 260, 289, 302 and 351W so that makes them small blocks.

The 351M and 400 do however have the dedicated big block C6 bellhousing pattern, same as the 460, but they are still small blocks. You should be able to identify which engine family you have by the number of valve cover bolts as I outlined.

Last edited:
That's a fine engine. Like the Chrysler 360, they like gas. LOL
Can't imagine it being thirstier them my 408 duster

Not too concerned with gas mileage anyway
The goal is a reliable plow vehicle I could run into town with, if needed and the wife won't be embarrassed to be seen in

Look for front diff leaks- quite common, ball joints, u- joints. Probably had a 9 inch rear, so you know they work well. Looks like a decent piece

If I remember correctly they used a funky carburetor up to the mid 80's, had like rotating trap doors, most people swapped to a holley

If I remember correctly they used a funky carburetor up to the mid 80's, had like rotating trap doors, most people swapped to a holley

That was called a variable venturi carburetor. Biggest POS Ford ever tried.

Here it is in all its horribleness.

FORD VV Carb.jpg

At that time it seemed the carb had got to the best they where going to get for mileage and emissions, think thermoguad and gms version. So why would you come up with a whole new design when the major three knowing that fuel inj would be the only way to met the upcoming standards?

At that time it seemed the carb had got to the best they where going to get for mileage and emissions, think thermoguad and gms version. So why would you come up with a whole new design when the major three knowing that fuel inj would be the only way to met the upcoming standards?

In the immortal words of Rodney King when Bryant Gumble asked his opinion of the LA Police Dept......."Beats the **** outta me!"

Can't imagine it being thirstier them my 408 duster

Not too concerned with gas mileage anyway
The goal is a reliable plow vehicle I could run into town with, if needed and the wife won't be embarrassed to be seen in

WTF? won't be embarrassed with that big
Ford.jpg

on the side?

:poke:

Park THIS duster next to your OTHER Duster.

Trail Duster.jpg

-
Back