Anyone know anything about 71 Demons?

-

DarrenM

Diggin' holes is fun
Reaction score
Guys, I've purchased a 71 Demon, 340/4 speed. It's a nice car, but has some oddities about it that I'd like someone to offer an opinion on. Here's the fender tag :

http://www.mts.net/~pancreas/demon 034-1.JPG

The car is GF7 green. The V8W code (as far as I know) is for a white stripe down the side. The car currently has the door strike/bump strip.

The Demon 340 decals look wrong (incorrect placement). Could be a previous owner removed and/or replaced them incorrectly. The rear decal is the same deal - looks wrong (the 340 is missing) - however, it's still surrounded by it's original rear tail light striping, in this case black.

Question is - did I decode the tag correctly - white side stripe, black tail panel decal, black hood treatment...and can the 340 decal be removed from the tail panel without damaging the stripes?

H51 is an AC car, right? decodes as "max cooling" on the online decoder that everyone likely has..........

Pictures:

bay1%20014-1.JPG

bay1%20015-1.JPG

demon 034-1.jpg

on the bottom row of the fender tag, it has LM29, but then its hazy. is it H1E, or is it M1E?

Hint for you... resize those pics so they don't blow up the screen!

Decals on 71 Demons, no emblems.

The V8W is your tail stripe and it should be white.

V5 is the side moulding/bump trim.

Get a better pic of the fender tag or list the codes. Here's a place to decode most of it. http://www.mymopar.com/6971opcodes.htm

I'll help but your pics sizing is driving me nuts trying to read your post and look at the pics scrolling left and right

Steve... it will be an H1E or H1B car. E = LA or B for the Hammy plant

Pics resized. Sorry guys, I usually appreciate large photos for my poor eyesight, not really thinking that anyone would *possibly* think differently....haha.....

Thanks for the fender tag clarification. I don't have the car yet- those pics are from the owner. I'll post a better one when it gets here.

A white tail decal would be rather odd (I can only imagine, as I've never seen that..) I suppose it's not that uncommon to change things. That paint is supposed to be original, which got me thinking why would someone change decals.....

Here's the codes as I can see:
N85 R11 V5F V8W Y14 END
M21 M25 M43 N41 N42
G31 G33 H51 J45 J55 L31
GF7 U A01 A46 A88 B51
GF7 M(OR H)157 GF7 209 077684
E55 D21 LM29 H1E XXXXXX

So that tail Demon decal is definitely incorrect? And the fender decals as well?

thanks
Darren

Hint for you... resize those pics so they don't blow up the screen!

Decals on 71 Demons, no emblems.

The V8W is your tail stripe and it should be white.

V5 is the side moulding/bump trim.

Get a better pic of the fender tag or list the codes. Here's a place to decode most of it. http://www.mymopar.com/6971opcodes.htm

I'll help but your pics sizing is driving me nuts trying to read your post and look at the pics scrolling left and right

Steve... it will be an H1E or H1B car. E = LA or B for the Hammy plant

L31 turn signal lite-hood/fender
J55 undercoat w/hood pad
J45 hood tie down pins
H51 air conditioning w/ft heater
G33 lh o/s mirror rem/chr/con
G31 rh o/s mirror rem/chr/con
N42 bright exhaust tips
N41 dule exhaust system
M43 grille trim mouldings
M25 body sill mouldings
M21 drip rail mouldings
N85 tachometer (I think this one is rare)
R11 radio am music master
V5F mouldings protective vinyl insert body side (green)
V8W sport stripes transvers tape (white)
Y14 sold car (I don't know what this one is about)

Looks like a nice high optioned Demon. With a 340 a 4-speed and a tach to boot. That is a nice car you have.

I just bought a 71 Demon 340 car and it also has the door molding like yours. I was thinking someone added it but looks like it could have come from factory that way after reading your post. Haven't seen a fender tag yet. You have a nice looking car, enjoy it. Mine will be getting a total restoration.

GF7 Roof Color
U US built
A01 Light group package
A46 Moulding package
A88 Interior Decor group
B51 Power Brakes
GF7 Body color
M(OR H)157 Probably M1F7 Bench Cloth/vinyl in green
GF7 Upper door frame color
209 2/9/1971 SPD
077684 Vehicle Order Number VON
E55 340
D21 4 speed
LM29 H1E XXXXXX
-------------------------------------------
So that tail Demon decal is definitely incorrect? And the fender decals as well? No Demon emblems on the car--- Decals ONLY.

The tail panel color refers to the "Stripe" only. NOT the demon decal.

Y14 sold car (I don't know what this one is about) i belive that this is a car that was ordered and paid for in advance. customer was waiting for it type thing. did not hit the sales floor or lot.

I was going to bring up the late build thing, but your's is not that, being it's a Feb. 9 build date. My '71 Duster has a lot of '72 hardware, having a late May build date.

Y14 sold car (I don't know what this one is about) i belive that this is a car that was ordered and paid for in advance. customer was waiting for it type thing. did not hit the sales floor or lot.

Your correct! This car was paid for (or financed) befor it was ever built! "Special order". Thats an awsome car you have & I would be tickled pink to have it! Congrats...8)

Fender tag is so out of focus; I think the mystery just got even more mysterious.

Thanks Andy. From some of the posts above looks like I had the vinyl molding all wrong (I thought it was supposed to be a white stripe). I'm curious if the tail striping was changed by someone over the years, or it was a factory mistake....

I just bought a 71 Demon 340 car and it also has the door molding like yours. I was thinking someone added it but looks like it could have come from factory that way after reading your post. Haven't seen a fender tag yet. You have a nice looking car, enjoy it. Mine will be getting a total restoration.

Good stuff. Thanks for this!
Yes, I realize the Demon decals are supposed to be decals, but are the decals supposed to say "Demon 340" vs. the "Demon" that's on there now? And are the fender Demon decals incorrectly placing the 340 numbers too low next to the Demon lettering?

Here's a pic of the green plaid seats. So very 70's
bay1 019-1.JPG
demon 030-1.JPG

GF7 Roof Color
U US built
A01 Light group package
A46 Moulding package
A88 Interior Decor group
B51 Power Brakes
GF7 Body color
M(OR H)157 Probably M1F7 Bench Cloth/vinyl in green
GF7 Upper door frame color
209 2/9/1971 SPD
077684 Vehicle Order Number VON
E55 340
D21 4 speed
LM29 H1E XXXXXX
-------------------------------------------
So that tail Demon decal is definitely incorrect? And the fender decals as well? No Demon emblems on the car--- Decals ONLY.

The tail panel color refers to the "Stripe" only. NOT the demon decal.

Any idea how the date decoder works? Are we to assume 2=Feb (second month), 9th day, and it's impossible to build a 71 model year car in 70 (ie Feb 2-1970), so it has to be 1971 ...

I was going to bring up the late build thing, but your's is not that, being it's a Feb. 9 build date. My '71 Duster has a lot of '72 hardware, having a late May build date.

Thanks for the compliment. Here's a pic of the tach (behind the steering wheel anyway).

demon%20022-1.JPG

L31 turn signal lite-hood/fender
J55 undercoat w/hood pad
J45 hood tie down pins
H51 air conditioning w/ft heater
G33 lh o/s mirror rem/chr/con
G31 rh o/s mirror rem/chr/con
N42 bright exhaust tips
N41 dule exhaust system
M43 grille trim mouldings
M25 body sill mouldings
M21 drip rail mouldings
N85 tachometer (I think this one is rare)
R11 radio am music master
V5F mouldings protective vinyl insert body side (green)
V8W sport stripes transvers tape (white)
Y14 sold car (I don't know what this one is about)

Looks like a nice high optioned Demon. With a 340 a 4-speed and a tach to boot. That is a nice car you have.

I'm really looking forward to getting it! I'll post more pics when it shows up.

Your correct! This car was paid for (or financed) befor it was ever built! "Special order". Thats an awsome car you have & I would be tickled pink to have it! Congrats...8)

Any idea how the date decoder works? Are we to assume 2=Feb (second month), 9th day, and it's impossible to build a 71 model year car in 70 (ie Feb 2-1970), so it has to be 1971 ...

Production for a model year runs from on or about 8/1 of the prior year, in your case 1970, to the end of July in the actual year 1971.

340 decals on the fenders looks about right.

Not likely a mistake on tail panel color. I'd bet the car has some damage or been fixed over the years. Pretty common on this style car. The tail panel should also have a 340 placed below and to the right of the Demon decal. IIRC.

The rear panel whould have a separate "340" decal below and to the right of the "demon". Couldn't tell you exactly, but the fender decals do seem to be correct. Nice car. Used to have a 71 340 4spd car. Electric blue with blacked out hood and scoops.

Hi Grant,
I picked this one up in Oregon. Plus, and this was the cool thing about this car, it has all the time-of-sale dealer information from new, build sheet, and is (apparently) original sheet metal and paint.

I remember a friend's 71 Demon in high school - "sassy grass" green, 4 speed, 340...loved that car. Hopefully I can buy gas for this one in the coming years lol

thanks

Nice find! That is one clean Demon. Dont recall seeing that one around, is it local?

Grant

Thanks for the info on the production date. Good to know!

I'll have to question the seller on the tail panel.

Do you know off hand if a 340 decal can be purchased separate? Haven't checked Year One or any of the other decal places yet..

thanks

Production for a model year runs from on or about 8/1 of the prior year, in your case 1970, to the end of July in the actual year 1971.

340 decals on the fenders looks about right.

Not likely a mistake on tail panel color. I'd bet the car has some damage or been fixed over the years. Pretty common on this style car. The tail panel should also have a 340 placed below and to the right of the Demon decal. IIRC.

-
Back