Anyone know for sure what these are?

-

shadango

Reaction score
Ok , so I am starting to look at the wiring under the hood on my 72 Barracuda....1974 318 engine.

The wiring is pretty old and decrepit.....I am trying to refer to a wiring diagram but no luck so far.....thought I would throw these pictures up and see what y'all thought....hope someone can help out here and get me on teh right track................

I think I have located the alternator stuff ---although there are 3 plugs there...shouldn;t there be just one ? I think the 90 degree push on style wire migh tbe the water temp sending unit wire

P3220117.jpg

THESE are currently stretched to the passenger side of the engine bay...

P3220114.jpg

P3220115.jpg

This one is in the distributor region so I am thinking old distributer lead?
P3220111.jpg

I dont know what these are....they appear to reach the drivers side fender area....starter maybe?
P3220110.jpg

The last pic you posted w/ the large round plug goes to the neutral safety switch and backup lights.

1st picture is alternator wiring, the 90 degree is water temp sensor.

2nd picture is the ground to the starter solenoid, should be on the drivers inner fender near the battery. When the auto trans is in neutral or park, that is grounded and lets you start the engine.

3rd picture: wild guess, could be A/C compressor

4th picture: ??????

5th picture goes to the neutral safety/reverse light switch on the drivers side of the transmission

Do your car have a ralley dash with a tack in it?

Do your car have a ralley dash with a tack in it?

Nope...no tach-o-meter. Unfortunately.

The car has no starter soleoid on it yet.....M.I.A.

You guys are great! This will at least get me going....Looks like the connectors are in poor shape though.....especially the neutral safety switch plug....are the connectors hard to find?

Depending on the shape of the rest of the harness you might be just as well off replacing the whole harness. Evans wiring has them. I was planning on buying one from them and got to looking at mine and thought "Naw I can rebuild that". After about 20+ hrs. of labor which consisted of unwrapping the old harness, marking, measuring, finding new wire the right color and gauge, finding all the connectors, tracing the schematic to make sure I had it right, soldering it all together then wrapping it in the original type tape I wish I had bought that new harness for $180

Now that I am looking at the wiring diagram andcomparing to what is actually under my hood, some things are definately missing...(asidefrom whatI knew was already)

Most notably,

-- starter relay
--starter solenoid
-- no ring-terminal'd wires for the coil -- I think the dist. side of the coil is missing because the distributor in the car appears to be a magnetic pickup type (so I guess need an electronic ignition box) and the car was a"points" car....have to figure out what distributor is in it I guess...couldnt find markings on it anywhere.

<sigh>:angry7:

Depending on the shape of the rest of the harness you might be just as well off replacing the whole harness. Evans wiring has them. I was planning on buying one from them and got to looking at mine and thought "Naw I can rebuild that". After about 20+ hrs. of labor which consisted of unwrapping the old harness, marking, measuring, finding new wire the right color and gauge, finding all the connectors, tracing the schematic to make sure I had it right, soldering it all together then wrapping it in the original type tape I wish I had bought that new harness for $180

Not sure if I am up to replacing the whole harness.....gonna have to research some more and see what happens I guess....:read2:

The starter relay and solenoid wires are incorporated with the positive battery cable which is still available from Mopar.

I have a 72 Cuda harness that I can take pix of for you if needed. :toothy10:

Here is the Mopar Perf Part #03764166 for the positive cable.

The starter relay and solenoid wires are incorporated with the positive battery cable which is still available from Mopar.

I have a 72 Cuda harness that I can take pix of for you if needed. :toothy10:

Here is the Mopar Perf Part #03764166 for the positive cable.

If you could take some pics for me that would be AWESOME!

I was up pretty late last night and was feeling kind of overwhelmed....LOL

It looks like I will need the solenoid and relay also....will the ones they sell at Autozone for the car be ok or should I go with something different?

Hey fishy68.......

Any chance you know if the engine wiring harness you buy is a plug-n-play kind of thing or is also a lot of soldering etc?

After sleeping on it, I realize I want to do this right...and the shape my wiring is in isnt inspring much faith....LOL

If a new harness is still a PITA to do I guess I will try and make due for now....but the cost isnt bad....

Shadango I'm nearly positive it's plug and play. Here's a link to their page. I see they have the engine harness and headlight harness separated and they cost more now than they did when I looked 4 yrs. ago. Looks like just the headlight harness is $180 and the engine harness is $105. If all you need is the engine harness that would be a cheap fix. It's not hard to unwrap the tape and separated them and replace just the engine harness. Here's a link to their page,

http://evanswiring.tripod.com/id3.html

Thanks! I decided to go ahead and get the engine harness...the old one is too raggedy.

I figure they wouldnt sell them if they couldnt be changed out....right? LOL

I also order new battery cables and the transmission neutral switch harness.

The only thing I will need from the headlight harness for it to run will be the starter relay and I THINK (hope) I have those two wires located.

I wish this place took mastercard...have to send a check first and then the yship...I am anxious to get started!

I ordered a new battery tray and hold-downs from Dante's Mopar.

Shadango, just remember that your 'Cuda is nearly 40 years old. Wire insulation tends to become brittle with that amount of exposure to temperature extremes, not to mention contact with all sorts of chemicals. You will likely find corrosion at all terminal connectors, not to mention along the wires themselves underneath the insulation.

For peace of mind, it would be wise to upgrade the wiring.

Shadango, just remember that your 'Cuda is nearly 40 years old. Wire insulation tends to become brittle with that amount of exposure to temperature extremes, not to mention contact with all sorts of chemicals. You will likely find corrosion at all terminal connectors, not to mention along the wires themselves underneath the insulation.

For peace of mind, it would be wise to upgrade the wiring.

Yep, thats what I figured....I got the new engine harness and the trans safety switch harness as well as new battery cables.....

I wanted to get the headlight harness as it has the starter relay wires in it but at $185 I am going to try the original for now...

Here is a picture of what I THINK are the correct wires...the yellow one and the l shaped one...am I correct?

DCP_0094.jpg

Shadango your right. The yellow one and the brown ones go to the starter relay spade terminals. Do you see that big red 10 gauge wire that's not hooked to anything right below the brown and yellow wire? That also goes to the large starter relay terminal where the battery positive cable hooks up. That's the main power feed for the car. Without it hooked up you won't have any power to anything.

BTW: I don't know if you have a wiring diagram for your car but if you don't their very handy. Here's a link to a page that has all 66 thru 74 Mopar wiring diagrams. Just pick your car and click on it and you can print out a diagram if you need it.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

Shadango your right. The yellow one and the brown ones go to the starter relay spade terminals. Do you see that big red 10 gauge wire that's not hooked to anything right below the brown and yellow wire? That also goes to the large starter relay terminal where the battery positive cable hooks up. That's the main power feed for the car. Without it hooked up you won't have any power to anything.

BTW: I don't know if you have a wiring diagram for your car but if you don't their very handy. Here's a link to a page that has all 66 thru 74 Mopar wiring diagrams. Just pick your car and click on it and you can print out a diagram if you need it.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

AWESOME ! So will I be able to tie right into the red connector with the battery cables ? Bill Evans said that the fusible links are part of the headlight harness, which I am NOT buying...so I guess I need to track one down?

Thanks for the wiring diagram info...I found that and have been using it to figure stuff out....

Curious -- could I (in theory at least) hook up a battery to just that red lead and to the ground and get power to the cockpit?

Or should I wait til the alternator, starter and ignition are in place?

I am DYING to see if the dash lights and heater work....

I dont want to blow anything up though...LOL

Shadango I'm not an e-body guru but I'll bet the fusible link plugs right into that red wire connector and then goes to the starter relay. I wouldn't suggest just hooking it straight to the battery without at least a 30 amp fuse in the circuit cause if there's a short somewhere you could burn the car down. Also if you do it make sure and have the wires for the alt. and starter taped up. Gotta run but I'll be back later this afternoon.

Shadango I'm not an e-body guru but I'll bet the fusible link plugs right into that red wire connector and then goes to the starter relay. I wouldn't suggest just hooking it straight to the battery without at least a 30 amp fuse in the circuit cause if there's a short somewhere you could burn the car down. Also if you do it make sure and have the wires for the alt. and starter taped up. Gotta run but I'll be back later this afternoon.

That makes a lot of sense.

I may wait until I have the new engine and tranny harness in and battery cables hooked up.

Bill Evans said that the fusible link is part of the headlight harness, which appears right....I would just need the other end of it, which would go to the battery.......

-
Back