Anyone know if a 72 Duster K member will fit in a 74

-
After hot tanking it to remove all the old oil and crust, bolt it in place on the framerails and seam weld it all the way around using the framerails as a jig to hold it square. After that, you can remove it and on a work table, clean up and reweld the steering box mounts, idler arm mount, and engine mounts. As you do this make sure there is a decent sized exit hole left for water to escape out of these areas at their lowest point. Also weld up the reinforcing plates that hold the strut rods at the front. I also added a 1/8" thick skid plate to the bottom center of my K frame to reinforce where the splice is at the bottom center of the K frame. You will have to notch out on either side of the skid plate on 73-76 cars for the sway bar to fit through. Grind out and replace any sloppy assed weld on it that needs to be redone. I had many welds on my K frame that I ground on with a ball rotary file on a high speed inline air grinder and chunks of old weld just fell off. Was never attached to both pieces very well only one piece. Sloppy factory welding. Only done good enough to last through the 5 year 50K warranty period. Must have been made on a Friday or a Monday. I also found cracks. I stop drilled the ends, v notched them and welded them back up. Where the LCA tube goes into the K frame at the back you can add a washer to each hole and rosette weld it. The LCA pin pretty much supports the tube at the front because of the nut and washer. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

-
Back