Anyone know much about 50's dodge cars?

-

CanadianGT

Reaction score
Looking at buying a rodder project and I'm looking to find any info I can on putting a FMJ front suspension kmember under the front with the same FMJ rear end under the rear. I found a 54 dodge regent I'm hoping to pick up.

Not to sound stoopid, but what's an FMJ k member? and why would you want to change it out? You can fit a small block or a big block into the existing one with probably less fabbing than putting in a new K-frame,A-arms, etc, they are quite spacious. AAJ Brakes makes disc conversion kits for those cars too. An 8 3/4 should fit pretty well into the stock springs etc out back. I've only seen one 50's Dodge site, it's called www.forwardlook.net it's all early Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler and DeSoto related, mostly 55-61, but there are some even older models on there. Good luck. If you get the 54, post some pics.

Not to sound stoopid, but what's an FMJ k member? and why would you want to change it out? You can fit a small block or a big block into the existing one with probably less fabbing than putting in a new K-frame,A-arms, etc, they are quite spacious. AAJ Brakes makes disc conversion kits for those cars too. An 8 3/4 should fit pretty well into the stock springs etc out back. I've only seen one 50's Dodge site, it's called www.forwardlook.net it's all early Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler and DeSoto related, mostly 55-61, but there are some even older models on there. Good luck. If you get the 54, post some pics.

an FMJ is the front k from an f body, m body, or j body. would a 8 1/4 from a a body fit right in the 54?

I can't say for sure, you'd have to measure the existing and the 81/4. Of course if it's too narrow you can always mini-tub it. I have heard of guys using fornt ends of of Volare's & Aspens on the 51-56 MoPars. Check out www.dodgecoronet.com - the dodge coronet registry there are some articles on there about it. I think DJVcuda is the guys name, he and his Dad did some work on an older MoPar like you're talking about and posted it with pics, etc. You can always contact him through the website after you've joined and ask him for some info- he also happens to be a contributing writer for MoPar Enthusiast Magazine.

I know the old Ford pickup guys find the Dippy, etc entire front end. Goes right in with very little fab work. If you use the rear end, try to use a cop car for all the swap. Like the rear sway bar,etc. Package deal.

-
Back