Anyone on a DSL line ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
How fast or slow is it ? Can you surf around with out wanting to kill your self ?

Im on a cable line right now and while its nice and fst its also costing me $50 a month. I pay about $115 a month for my cable all together. Looking to free up a little money each month. I can get Dish network, and DSL threw my phone company for a total of $120 a month including the phone. Plus I only need to send 1 check instead of 2. :evil3:

Adam I've done quite a few of these installations, and also support them on a daily basis. The cable is normally a little faster, but usually slows down as the number of clients on the system increases. DSL remains at the same speed no matter how many clients utilize the service lines.

We've had DSL for quite some time now and are very happy. Very quick.

I have SBC DSL and i am very happy with it. I seen on TV that they(SBC) are running a ad for 14.95 for DSL. since your from CT i think they are a provider.

plum360415 said:
I have SBC DSL and i am very happy with it. I seen on TV that they(SBC) are running a ad for 14.95 for DSL. since your from CT i think they are a provider.

Yup, SBC here.

WOW 14.95!! Man that's a great deal. I wonder what kind of speeds they give ya for that? AdamR you could go to http://www.dslreports.com/ and check out there forums to see if anyone has any input about the DSl in your area.
There's also a speed test that will tell ya how fast your upload and download is on your Cable, just so you can compare.
I 've had DSL up until I moved this last year. Like others have said the DSL is always the same speed, where as my cable now, even though it's MUCH faster, often gets a bit sluggish at night when everyone in my area is on.

I've got AT&T DSL service right now. DSL is okay, but not as fast as the cable I had before. My connection speed is 1.3M bits per second. Downloading large programs, MP3's or video clips can take a few minutes sometimes. But for just surfing the web, it's not bad at all. I have a wireless hub/router and share the connection with 4 PC's.

I have had Verizon DSL for a couple of years and have never had a problem, even still worked on a couple of occasions when I couldn't make a voice call.

I believe the service I have promises 768 kbps but every time I have ever checked I am getting around 900 and on a couple of occasions it's been close to 1 megabit. In any case I have faster response at home than I do on the T1 line at work.

As others have stated if you live in a neighborhood that has a lot of cable subscribers you all share the availbel band width so the speed will drop off noticabley as more people are logged on.

Adelphia is the cable provider in my area and the people's computers I have used with cable access haven't been noticable faster. With DSL being $29 and cable being $45 I normally tell folks that DSL is a better value.

i had cable and the first bill they screwed me... they say they installed 2 lines from the street with 200 ft of cable, 2 inside lines and rented us a modem.. $400. well i see ONE line from the street 50 ft away, ONE line into the house and a modem i BOUGHT 2 years ago. so now i am no Verizon DSL and i have seen faster speeds with this than with comcrap cable.

Adam, I work as a fleet mech. for SBC, to get the 14.95 deal you have to get at sbc.com. if you try to get it over the phone they wont do it. its a promo type thing. hope this helps.

-
Back