Anyone own an AMC?

-
Well I have to admit I may work for a Muscle Car Parts company but I have always had a soft spot for my 66 American grocery getter lol

I'm surprised I never see an American hopped up. I've always looked at those and thought what a great little hotrod they would make. They fall into the same category as my valiant... kindof a poor man's nova.
Also, I never noticed the rear-view mirrors that the SC/Rambler has, those are very cool!!

Finaly got mine back home. Now to start the tear down for a repaint. Must be done by april. Wonder if I should start a thread on the members builds?

Attachments

• back home 003.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 238
  • back home 006.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 231
  • back home 002.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 243
Finaly got mine back home. Now to start the tear down for a repaint. Must be done by april. Wonder if I should start a thread on the members builds?

Why not it is part of the family.

390 Go-pack car. Ill post picks of the Gremlin when it get out of the paint shop. Thats gonna be a sweet one, Jeep 4.0 liter turbo 5 speed

Attachments

• Pauls_AMX.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 251
Here is one of my many projects.
This gremlin is on a Jeep Frame,Buick 350 V8 and manual 3spd w/4wd.
I got the fenders ,doors and hood off a Texas car without rust.Yet to do anything to it....

Attachments

• shop 019.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 247
Most of my brothers have owned them over the years. When I was a kid I hitched a ride home from the dragstrip in a 401 Gremlin with a 4-speed. What a great ride. If you wnat a Javelin look on Craigs list in Metropolis, Il. I think my brother is selling his for about 1600. It is worth a look if you're in the market. 304 c.i. car I think.

Here is one of my many projects.
This gremlin is on a Jeep Frame,Buick 350 V8 and manual 3spd w/4wd.
I got the fenders ,doors and hood off a Texas car without rust.Yet to do anything to it....

Hey TX, do you have any other gremlin parts? We might need some. Ours is a 76. Dont know what I need, just wondering

This is it leaving my shop and going to the paint shop. It was side swiped real bad on the passenger side, And had around 2" thick mud on the whole quarter and drivers door and fender. I think it was beginning of December when it went out. Im almost done with the body work and should be painted by the end of January

Attachments

• 2011-11-19_13-41-54_53.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 2011-11-19_13-41-40_849.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 220
I was looking for a Matador once, I wasn't successful. The next day I go for a run to the Pepboys for oil and some guy pulls up next to me...in a Matador, WTF :p

Hey Racingduster I think I talked to you about fixing your car a while back. Sorry I couldnt fit it in. Glad to see its getting some love.

Start a build thread, that ride is stright out of the 70's.
I was wondering what was going on with the hoosers then I seen the small block mopar under the hood.

My second Jeep was a CJ-7 with a glass body that I removed the 304 3-speed and put in a small block mopar 4-speed, added some 36 inch tires and had alot of fun.:blob:

70dartmike can you add or start a thread of AMX forsale ? with larger photos ... I will be looking to buy an original 340 4 speed Demon or 390 4 speed AMX this summer .....
Thanks

i once had a 71 gremlin that we threw a 383/727 into. i loved that car. this is the only amc thread i have seen. i have some pics i would like to post from back in the day. i dont mean to threadjack if i am. but i wanted to share these for inspiration for those building these cars.

Attachments

• pq26.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 175
  • pq32.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 182
  • pq48.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 182
  • pq34.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 175
  • pq38.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 183
  • pq35.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 632gh.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 183
Worked summers for an AMC Dealer in Queens, NY when I was in college in the early 1970's. I owned a '60 Rambler Custom and a '67 Rambler Rebel V-8. I can not count how many times I was pulled over with the '67 for speeding. (Plain Jane car with a base V-8.) Used a Matador wagon to deliver parts and a Javelin to pick up registrations at the NY DMV. Those cars were very fast and completely ignored by the Big 3 Muscle car drivers. To those who are restoring- go for it! You will have something totally different!

I had a 73 amx many years ago. I liked it pretty well, but it had plenty of electrical problems and it was only 3 years old.

My 64 Ambassador 990. Luv telling everyone it's NOT a Chev 327!

View attachment 167033

Kinda diggin' your '64...I like the front end tie in from fender to grill.

Back in 1999 my first musclecar was a '70 AMC Javelin "Mark Donahue Edition" - 1 of 2500 - 360 - auto. - Go Pack option and even more scarce was the "Side Winder" side pipe headers from the factory...Sweet car...bought it with 28K orig. miles....But big royal pain in the azz for parts...Apparently the flywheel is a one year only and not sold new. I had found one in Montana junkyard January 2000 and couldn't get the part until April because the owner said the car was buried in over two feet of snow. Sold it later in 2001...miss the sound of those side pipes but my "calves" are happy because they won't get burned anymore stepping out of the car. Overall they made so cool cars and the Big Bad colors were awesome.

Kinda diggin' your '64...I like the front end tie in from fender to grill.

Back in 1999 my first musclecar was a '70 AMC Javelin "Mark Donahue Edition" - 1 of 2500 - 360 - auto. - Go Pack option and even more scarce was the "Side Winder" side pipe headers from the factory...Sweet car...bought it with 28K orig. miles....But big royal pain in the azz for parts...Apparently the flywheel is a one year only and not sold new. I had found one in Montana junkyard January 2000 and couldn't get the part until April because the owner said the car was buried in over two feet of snow. Sold it later in 2001...miss the sound of those side pipes but my "calves" are happy because they won't get burned anymore stepping out of the car. Overall they made so cool cars and the Big Bad colors were awesome.
was that car in muscle car review? and was it a lime green color or a red/white/blue ?

My neighbors bought a new '70 Sportabout, it was quick and seats and door panels had a funky pattern. One thing we always wondered about was the "Weather-Eye" a/c had a setting "DESERT ONLY." Living in Florida didn't dare use it and always wondered what it was all about and what would happen if we did. Anyone?

...on the 'desert only' setting the compressor would run constantly, not cycle on and off, and if you used it in humid conditions, the system would freeze up.

My dream car is a Javelin. I don't even care what year, I'd just love to have one some day. Don't get me wrong I love my Duster, but one of these would be awesome. I wouldn't mind having just about any other AMC either. They are all cool and you see less of them than Mopars. Every once in a while I see one for sale in the Trader's Guide or on the internet, but other than that I don't see any around here. The only AMC I have ever seen on the road around here is a Rambler. We went out to eat on a sunday morning and we parked right beside it. There is also a '69 Javelin not too far from where we hunt sitting in the weeds. It is basically just sheet metal though as the frame is rotted into the ground. When my dad was younger they had it for sale. He stopped to check it out, and it had a 401 in it but like I said there isn't much left of it now.

Start a build thread, that ride is stright out of the 70's.
I was wondering what was going on with the hoosers then I seen the small block mopar under the hood.

My second Jeep was a CJ-7 with a glass body that I removed the 304 3-speed and put in a small block mopar 4-speed, added some 36 inch tires and had alot of fun.:blob:

Thats my goal. I wanted the 70s street machine look. I have added a teardrop scoop but having second thoughts. Maybe a mopar pro.

i once had a 71 gremlin that we threw a 383/727 into. i loved that car. this is the only amc thread i have seen. i have some pics i would like to post from back in the day. i dont mean to threadjack if i am. but i wanted to share these for inspiration for those building these cars.

Awsome cars!!!!! My first spirit had a 440/727. Fit right in with very little clearance problems and lots of room. STUPID FAST car too!:burnout:

I have a soft spot for AMC (all most chrysler :D ) I have a couple of mid 70's jeep cheerokes with the 360s in them. does anyone know if they changed the bolt pattern on the 80's AMC 360's when they went to torqueflite insted of chebby crap transmissions? I can't keep a transmission pump in my old plow truck every 4 years I have had to put a new pump in it

-
Back