Anyone rebuild a manual steering box?

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I picked up a manual steering box for my Duster that I want to rebuild my self. It is adjusted all the way in and still has some slop in it. I started looking around for instructions or parts and so far I haven't found too much. About the best that I can find is the kit from Firm Feel. I had heard that you can get a kit from the local autoparts stores but so far I havn't had any luck finding it.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :burnout:

How is the bearing race at the bottom of the housing removed? There is one in the kit that I purchased, but I do not know how to get the old one out. I do not see any way to get beneith it with a puller, as it seems to be flush with the bottom of the case.

With any blind-seated race, you have to hammer a thin screwdriver between the race and the housing until you bend a portion of the outside of the race a little bit away from the housing, while being careful not to gouge or distort the housing. With successively thicker screwdrivers, keep enlarging the area of the race that is bent away from the housing until, if necessary, you can drive a tapered drift between the race and the housing. Keep bending the race until it breaks at that point (or grab it with a pliers and wiggle it until it breaks), or until by bending it you've reduced it to a smaller diameter, and can then pull it out.

I've done them but been a couple of years.
Piece of cake.

Here's what I remember.
Didn't need to replace any bearing or hard parts.
(unless something is broken)
Just seals. I have some extras seals laying on the bench. (I have a pile of units and was going to build spares) I'll try and remember to check back tommorow and give part numbers. Seems like the numbers are at Moparts.com in the tech archives anyway.
Do you have yours apart yet?
If you haven't, be very carful not to lose any of the needle bearings.
That is the hardest part.
Or the balls.
Don't remember needing an inch pound wrench. Just used feel to get the pre-load.
I made a fixture out of 1/4 aluminum to bolt it to to hold it in a vise and a big spanner out of the same to turn the top adjustment.
It is amazing what a good cleaning and packing with Moble syn grease will make in your unit.

Ohh You guys have helped me so much!

No I don't have the parts yet, I know the seals are bab so I am cleaning the case right now. I know one of the bearing races is chipped I figured I am going to give it new bearings too.

Thanks!

-
Back