Anyone running an XE274 ?

-
Yeah. Winters almost over though. Were having trouble finding a reliable baby sitter though and day care will cost almost what my wife makes a month. So if we dont find someone looks like she'll get her wish and will be staying home.

Yea thats a *****. I have a few friends in that same situation. I take it you do seasonal type work?

yeah. I cut trees. We do firewood in the winter but its been slow the last few years.

Mopardude wrote:
Yes it is a solid. How can you tell that from my numbers?
AdamR wrote:
274S = solid
274H = Hyd.
Plus I looked up the dur and lift specs on comp's site. 8)

So Mopardude, how often do you need to adjust the valve lash? I have never had an engine with a solid lifter cam. If the maintenance is not but once a year or so, then I may go with a solid lifter for the advantages Adam mentioned.

Don't forget you'll need adjustable rockers for the solid.

Usualy a solid cam will idle and build vacume like a Hyd. cam around 10 degrees smaller.

Well when I ordered my cam I believe the tech said every other oil change. Which for me is sometimes only once or twice a year because I only drive it in good weather. Although I have been doing it everytime. I figure with my motor being a little more built up than I am used too it is better to pop off those valve covers and take a look and keep an eye on things anyways. I was kinda worried going to to a solid cam because everyone made a big deal about having to ajust for lash. But its not bad at all, If I can figure it out you know its not that bad. Valve train noise isn't as bad as I was told either. I kinda like the mechanical sound of it but I am one that likes the sound of a gear drive coming down the road too.

I was already planning on adjustable rockers even with a hyd cam. I suppose pulling the valve covers off a couple times a year to adjust lash isn't too bad. And that would probably give you a real good indication on how the cam lobes are wearing.

Not really unless you have a fiber optic camera to stick down in there. Or do you mean by measuring how much the lash opens up? After break-in on my cam it was a little sloppy compared to how I initially set it. But when I set it during assembly it was cold and after break in I reset it hot. Than I did another Oils change at 500 miles and I really didn't notice that any of the gaps changed much but I reset them anyways. I didn't get to drive it enough to get to 2,000 miles before I put it away for the winter so I dunno how much the lash changes with some miles put on it.

Yeah, if you see a big jump in the clearance you know there's a problem somewhere. With a hyd cam, you can wear a lobe down to almost nothing before you realize it. Been there, done that. :banghead:

tony,
4:30's with a 26" tire MAY be too much gear!!!!...im running 4:56's with 28" tires and im floating the valves at 6200.

adam,
the XE cams are NOISEY???? :wink:

Mike I've run mine up to 6500rpm's no problem. We will see what happens soon. :thumrigh: With the 3:91's I'm going through the traps @
5600rpm's. So I'm figureing about 5900 to 6200 rpm through the traps with 4:30's

you gain 300 rpm's for every gear change so 6200 will be the mark and you should have any problem hitting it!!!
i have 28" tires,4:56's and come thru at 6500...why??

-
Back