Anyone running catalytic converters on car with flat tappet cam?

-
Hi Yellow Rose, I hoping a performance engine builder on here will post their thoughts in regards to my situation. If my cam lift wasn't as high then I wouldn't be as concerned. I believe Torco is synthetic which can't be run in a rebuilt engine till it hits 3000miles.

Torch makes more than one oil.

That's why I said to call them, and named some others so the trolls who follow my every breath on here won't have a thing to ***** about.

You called the Hyper lube people. Why not call some others. I mention Torco again, because I know for FACT they developed oils just to deal with cats.

In you case, oil will be the cheaper investment.

Also, if you are all bored to hell and have nothing to do, Google the Supreme Court case where they decided that mineral based oils can be classified as synthetics. All group III oils are highly refined mineral oils that are classified as sythetic because SCOTUS says so. That's why you can use group III oils with alcohol fuels but not group IV.

You can waste a bunch of time researching this stuff.

Torch makes more than one oil.

That's why I said to call them, and named some others so the trolls who follow my every breath on here won't have a thing to ***** about.

You called the Hyper lube people. Why not call some others. I mention Torco again, because I know for FACT they developed oils just to deal with cats.

In you case, oil will be the cheaper investment.

Also, if you are all bored to hell and have nothing to do, Google the Supreme Court case where they decided that mineral based oils can be classified as synthetics. All group III oils are highly refined mineral oils that are classified as sythetic because SCOTUS says so. That's why you can use group III oils with alcohol fuels but not group IV.

You can waste a bunch of time researching this stuff.

I'm waiting for Valvoline & Torco to get back to me, I have interest in the one product from Torco as shown.
TR-1-10w40.jpg

Flat tappet and cats? My DD Jeep 4.0 has 3 cats, 160,000+ miles, a flat tappet cam and no problems. I have run Mobil 1 TDT (turbodiesel truck) 5w-40 for the last 130,000 of those miles. I change it every 10-12K.

If the engine doesn't burn or pass any significant amount of oil, there is no zinc getting into the cat. If an engine does use oil, the oil alone will ruin the cat before the zinc.

I'm waiting for Valvoline & Torco to get back to me, I have interest in the one product from Torco as shown.View attachment 1714978197

That may be the oil you want, but I'm not sure since I don't run cats. But, IIRC all the oils with the "r" in the name are oils that have high zinc content. Been a while since I have looked at the product line so I'm not sure about the nomenclature any more.

If you have to call Torco again, ask for Ernie. He's a sharp dude, been at Torco since the early 90's and worked his way up.

Let us know.

BTW, just because an engine isn't using oil don't mean you can't get zinc migration to the cats. It happens.

-
Back