anyone running gapless rings?

-

WildCat

Reaction score
Gapless rings, I know they make them, wondering if any of you are using them and input on the use of them

I have had problems with my 340 from the beginning. 1st I thought it was possessed since the short block came out of a Demon. Now I think it might be the chebby guy that built it at the machine shop. Cylinders are +.040, but he went over that some too, crank had to be polished to clean up where he didn't turn it right, was not balanced right, just a mess.

I talked to the guy that I have building it this time, he is a retired coworker and meticulous.

Original problem, loose oil pressure at cruising speed from the start.

pulled and took back to machine shop, they claimed too much cam bearing clearance

3000 miles bent push rod and a valve, think it was coil bind

So it is completely down again Heads have been done for 3rd time, going to install a solid lift cam, high volume pump and he ask me about gapless rings, due to the slight over bore he suggest using the gapless rings, claims I have some blowby now and this should help.

we are also pulling the 3.23 and installing a pumpkin I have with 391 or 4.10s in it

looking forward to getting the car back on the road it should be like a completely different car with the fresh 340 and new gears

Wildcat,

There should be a slight overbore for piston to wall clearance. What type of pistons are you using (forged, cast, hyperutectic) and what was the piston manufacturers suggested clearance? What clearance do you have now?

-
Back