Anyone try putting wheels on backwards?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Back in the 70's the aluminum slot wheels were popular. I purchased a pair to mount A60-13 Polyglass GT tires on the rear (7 1/4 differential) of my four door 1965 Plymouth Valiant. I remember they came with lug nuts that had flat washers. Well, they would not fit because the outside of the tires hit the edges of the almost skirted style fenderwells. I swapped the wheels around the other way so the polished side was on the inside (against the brake drum) and they fit perfectly, except for the fact the lug nuts for some reason were a pain to get started. The unpolished side showing for all to see looked kinda custom. (Later I swapped in a 1970 Challenger 8 3/4 suregrip and had to permanently flare the fenderwells, slapping on 15" Cragers)

Sounds pretty dangerous to me, not to mention the backside of a slot is super fugly looking. I'm betting the face of the wheel does not sit flush against the drum. I would never recommend any body drive the streets like that

I think this should be moved to the joke section.

LOL, ^^^^^

Back in the mid 70's I had a 64 VW bug, I ran the rear wheels on backwards. They fit and bolted up just fine, lmao.

LOL, ^^^^^

Back in the mid 70's I had a 64 VW bug, I ran the rear wheels on backwards. They fit and bolted up just fine, lmao.

That was a common thing with the VW's back in the day. It would widen the stance. Done it a few times on the 5 lug bugs.

Actually, Ron Mancini ran a pair of aluminum slots turned around backwards on the back of the red Zoom-O '68 Hemi Dart super stocker. I believe they were Fenton Gyros.

-
Back