Anyone use a borescope for cylinder inspection?

-

JoePole1

A dude in a B body
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got a Rigid brand for Christmas and the picture is really nice however the camera is too large to get into my spark plug hole. I would like to be able to view the ridge and valves also. Checking on Amazon and they have dual camera and articulating camera. Looks promising. It's not going to be getting a lot of use so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I don't mind using my smartphone for the interface. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

i got a zealtron i bought off amazon for 30ish bucks! got 2 screens, 2 cameras, and 2 lights! ant used it to look inside cylinders yet but it would!! i bought it to look at plastic piston cooler nozzles in big cam cummins when thay have oil pressure issues! every couple weeks i find myself dragging it out and always glad i splurged for it!! that got some cheaper that link to your cell phone for display but mine got its own screens! good luck!

I got one of the handheld borescopes off Amazon a couple years back for cheap. Did the job just fine.

They make them that will plug right into your smartphone.

I have a USB to laptop. Works decent. The costs is on the camera end. You go full fiber optics they get spendy.

Thanks guys. What about being able to view the valves and top of cylinder? There are some that articulate 180 degrees with the turn of a knob and I assume you can view upwards with dual side camera models. Anyone have that?

Thanks guys. What about being able to view the valves and top of cylinder? There are some that articulate 180 degrees with the turn of a knob and I assume you can view upwards with dual side camera models. Anyone have that?
My cheapo Amazon model (WiFi connection to phone) has a semi-rigid cord that I can push down against the piston and make it point up at the head…takes a little doing, I’ve had to rotate the motor to push the piston up to push closer to the head…then back down to allow the cord enough room to straighten back out. Articulating sounds cool, but costs more.

Here is a picture from the borescope I bought at PRI. It connects to a phone or tablet. Just push a button for a picture or a video. I like being able to send the pictures from my phone to my customers. I was going to check TDC on this motor but I noticed it resisted being moved by hand. Notice the rust on the cylinder wall.

It does have the articulating end that you control with a joystick. Yes you can see the valves with it.

Image_2023-12-15 10_44_56_907.png

I tease friends if they ever bring up colonoscopy. I say. "I have a bore scope. And I'll only charge 1/2 as much.

I'm sure I could do Lasix. And I'm very sure I could install a pacemaker.

So far. No trust from my crowd. WTF?

Did you try saying Please?
With the colonoscopy. They have to do the insertions. I'll view and record on laptop. And possibly a small charge to view online?

Ok, topic went dark. Lol. But like everything. The more functional a borescope in size, angle and agility? The more expensive.

It has an attachment that screws to the top of the handle to hold the phone and included is a short cord to connect the two. For me, it is easier to operate with a long cord and the phone placed on a stationary object where it can be easily viewed while moving the probe around. I can't speak to the quality as far as durability or longevity as I have only used it a short time. I would say the picture clarity is at least as good if not better than my snap-on BK 5500W which has served me well for many years.

I could not find an articulating model for Android USB-C and they were hardwired (for iPhone jack). I like the Idea of a stand alone unit (no Phone) so I found one with 3 cameras that should work by turning 90 degrees in the cylinder for bore checking. Also has an 8mm head and good feedback. Will follow up after purchase and testing.

Amazon product ASIN B09VSMR52S

Just started messing with my multi camera hand held borescope. So far it works well for what I need. Resolution isn't bad. Has lots of nice features like 3 light settings, photo, auto off, and 3 camera angles. Takes a little work to move camera around due to stiffness of the (16'?) camera probe wire but better than being floppy. This is where an articulating unit would be better but good enough for me for what little use it will get.

Looking down at piston
IMG_20240103_141428.jpg

Looking up to valves at an angle.
IMG_20240103_141526.jpg

Top of cylinder at ridge
IMG_20240103_141536.jpg

-
Back