Anyone use one of these radiators?

-
My radiator developed a crack in the middle of the tank. It's been repaired before, so it's time for new. Saw this on ebay.
Radiator 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 Barracuda Dart Valiant A-Body | eBay

I ordered that radiator six months ago for my 65. It DIDN'T FIT. Brackets weren't quite right, but I could have dealt with that. Insurmountable problem was that it was too tall, mostly because the neck is too tall. Just setting it in place resting on the lower radiator support, I could not shut my hood. They refunded my money and accepted the return, but continue to list it as fitting early A bodies.

I bought one of those radiators for my 66 273 barracuda and everything fit perfect. It was only going to be used until my original factory radiator was gone through and then ready to go back in but since it keeps my engine nice and cool and looks good in my car I have not made the change yet. Maybe it's a hit or miss with them but I am very happy with the one that I got and the price is right.
Bob

z361.JPG

z362.JPG

z363.JPG

I'll try to contact them about some dimensions of it from top to bottom.

Did the original shroud bolt right up?

I have no plans for a pumped up motor. It just needs to keep my stock little 273 cool and not leak.

The original metal shroud did bolt right up, no modifications needed I just had to insert the small nut pockets the radiator does not come with them and it keeps my 273 nice and cool.
Bob

I bought one of those radiators for my 66 273 barracuda and everything fit perfect. It was only going to be used until my original factory radiator was gone through and then ready to go back in but since it keeps my engine nice and cool and looks good in my car I have not made the change yet. Maybe it's a hit or miss with them but I am very happy with the one that I got and the price is right.
Bob

View attachment 1715606027

View attachment 1715606028

View attachment 1715606029

Interesting. Here's a picture of mine. It's clear that your fill neck sticks up higher than the original in my 65. Perhaps the shape of the 66 hood provides more clearance for a taller neck? And if yours bolted up to the factory mounting holes, then they must be different 65 to 66.

BTW, very nice looking engine compartment you have.

20200125_121640.jpg

Thank You, your's looks very nice also. Here is a picture of the factory original before I installed the shroud, you can see the neck height pretty good there and then two more of the after market radiator from the inside.
Bob

z210.JPG

z359.JPG

z360.JPG

There are no names on the radiator and I don't know who manufactures them. I bought mine off of eBay with the intentions of only using it until my factory one was finished but it's still in there now with no problems cools just fine even in stop and go traffic. Eventually I will re-install the factory one but when I don't know.
Bob

So, I was informed to order the radiator that's listed for 65-66 dart/valiant.

I received it Friday and is a pretty nice replacement. There is nothing on the box to identify where it's actually made. The quality of the welds are top notch and the core appears to be good quality. The overall size of the radiator is exactly the same as my original. The original fan shroud swapped right over to it.

The only issues I had with it were the lower mounting bolts were a little bit off and the side mounting bracket on the passenger side. The bracket should have been offset to compensate for the core support. I used a couple 1/4" spacers to get it to bolt up correctly. If I had better aluminum welding skills I would have cut it off and moved it to fit better.

The polished aluminum tanks would have stood out like a sore thumb, so I gave it a coat low gloss black paint. Cooling system now holds pressure and no more seeping coolant leaks.
IMG_20201017_161904001_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201017_161911973_HDR.jpg

-
Back