Anyone Used/Installed Classic Auto Air system in their Mopar

-

shg340

Reaction score
Attended the Flordia Westcoast Mopar Show today in Tampa and the Classic Auto Air Guys had a booth there. I was wondering if any members have used these folks and can relay any comments about their product such as ease of installation, reliability, etc. If my Duster is gonna be in FL, I need Air for sure and these folks have a pretty good lookin set-up. :shock:

If you have their product or know of someone who used it, I'd appreciate any comments you can provide :scratch: Thanks Guys

I have a 1963 Dodge Dart GT convertible with a 225 cu in slant six.

I purchased the Classic Air system for my car and have installed all but the wiring.

Their catalog says that it's a "perfect fit" for a 1966 and up A body. Since the 63 to 66 A bodies are essentially the same, I thought I'd give it a try.

Their condenser was too wide for the narrow 63 radiator opening. All the lines are pre-bent for the 67 and up cars.

The installation kit for the compressor won't work on the 63 because it's driven by the outer part of a double pulley that's meant to replace the power steering pulley. The engine compartment is not long enough to accomodate that extra pulley. There's no way to reposition the compressor to drive off a pulley attached to the rear of harmonic balancer, like the factory air unit, because the compressor is too long and will not clear the intake manifold on the slant six.

The evaporator is configured so you lose the "summer door" on the passenger side. Doin't even consider the heater-delete summer door box because it will not fit.

The evaporator does bolt up to two of the holes in the firewall where the original heater motor once was, but the third hole will have to be drilled. I installed the evaporator with the entire dash out of the car. I think it would be nearly impossile to install it with the dash in the car. But the instructions suggest otherwise.

I solved the underhood problems by going back to the original Mopar Cool-Aire condensor, lines, V2 compressor and receiver/drier. It's a simple hook-up from that to the evaporator. Since I'm keeping the V2 compressor, I'll use R12 instead of R134a.

I haven't gotten to the wiring yet, but they assure me I'll be able to keep my oriiginal 3 knob heater/defroster controls. I hope they're right.

In the meantime, I've got a new Sanden compressor (polished) that's worthelss to me, plus brakets, and also the condensor and lines.

Installation is probably a cinch on your '71. Classic Air did warn me that I was on my own on the '63.

If I had it to do over again, I might try Vintage Air's compact unit. It's all servo controlled and much smaller in size. Maybe I could've kept the summer door on the passenger side using the heater-delete door.

If I were you, I'd just purchase a complete factory AC conversion for you car. I helped a friend convert his later A body once, and it was quite straightforward, requiring drilling a couple of holes in the firewall. Everything else was dimples for easy drilling.

--Walt Jackson

that sucks you loose the outside airvent box, i love those. i cant loose the ball coolers, but i really want a/c for my 64

I considered retrofitting AC too, but after reading what Walt posted ,it sounds like you need Chip Foose and a machine shop in your garage to make it happen! Whew!

Longgone said:
I considered retrofitting AC too, but after reading what Walt posted ,it sounds like you need Chip Foose and a machine shop in your garage to make it happen! Whew!
they did tell him that he was kinda on his own w/ the 63. i plan on doing this next year w/ classic. i will let you know how mine turns out when i get to do it.

Dodgenut64 said:
that sucks you loose the outside airvent box, i love those. i cant loose the ball coolers, but i really want a/c for my 64
yeah same ehre i love those vents, but i remember the first time i started using them in my car after it sat for 2-3 years...all full of leaves, i opened the passenger side and leaves went all over the place and i had just cleaned it :( but i didnt have carpet hell i drove around with bare floors for 6 months it was so nice when i finaly got carpet for xmas :) so much quieter :thumblef: not like my super stock slant made much noise anyways :p

LMAO, I had a 70 that I picked up from under a tree out at a farm, drove out poured water in the radiator made sure it had oil and trans fluid and jump started it so a buddie could drive it home for me with me following, I remember him going down the gravel road in front of me at about 50 mph all the windows wide open cause it was 80 + degrees out, and I saw him lean over and POOOOOOOOOOF!!!!!! the whole interior was INSTANTLY full of swirling leeaves and mice nests and dirt and god only knows what else, I started laughing so hard I fish tailed the Road Runner I was in and bunny hopped the ditch into a field. Was hilarious as all hell.

Recently had the same expierence with my current 73, had the vents open all windows open and hit about 90 and Poof!!! again, the vents cleared themselves of all debris. I think I need to run her up to about 130-135 just to make sure they are really clear:)

-
Back