Anyone using c body suspension parts

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Ive heard of some people using some c body parts(heavier duty) on the a body's such as tie rods Nd even front rotors spindles and calipers anyone done this?? Got my whole front end out and want to know what parts are interchangeable and parts thT aren't. Thanks

tie rods for sure.

brakes are larger. they have 11.75" rotors and youll need the caliper brackets, calipers are the same if the adapters are the slider type. if pin type, ull need pin style calipers.

Subscribed As I'm interested in knowing as I have access to a 76 C-body parts relatively cheap and dont know if it's worth pulling the front end suspension stuff.

somewhere there is a thread here where someone used the spindles/calipers/rotors. the caliper has to be moved in front of the upper ball joint (if i recall) which only meant reversing the splindles with the correct lower ball joint for A body disc brakes. there are other details, if you do a search, you may be able to find the thread. you can use B&E body as well.......you have to have the big ball joint upper control arms off your A body (again, if i remember)

You need to watch suspension/steering geometry when it comes to interchanging parts. I've learned a lot lately discussing things with a fellow member. Just because it bolts on, does not mean it is correct, or not changing something else in the process. Just something to think about.

C body stuff will not all interchange. Only '73 c body spindles use the same upper ball joint as the '73 up a body parts. '74 up c body upper ball joint are bigger. Rotors are 11.75", but the bearings are different and they'll only fit c body spindles. Bolt spacing on the lower ball joint is different. Spindles are 5/8" taller, so the geometry changes ( not necessarily bad, but it does change the geometry). And the 73 up c body stuff uses pin calipers.

More trouble than it's worth IMHO. If you want 11.75" brakes, use the f/j/m body stuff. Same for the spindles, the f/j/m spindles provide some positive geometry changes, but they'll bolt up to 73 up a body parts.

F/J/M spindles was actually the topic of conversation I had with another member. He mentioned it would be hard to tell people any differently. However, the F/J/M spindles have differences related to the upper ball joint...the ball joint mount is higher than stock, as well as offset more from the flat front surface of the spindle. This does create a couple problems, one of which some people call "bump steer" but it really is not the case.
I wont go into any further detail, but I will say that the control arms I make allow these discrepancies to be changed/adjusted/eliminated. :)

-
Back