Apparently my car does not want to be sold.

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
So, a guy called me a few days ago to buy my duster. While i love the look of the car, i'm a bit tired of carb's and tuning it, but prior to today it ran nice and smooth.

Get up this morning, wash the car, leaving the car wash it develops a very noticeable off idle stumble, i get back to my apt. to diagnose it and a fuel line is seeping fuel into the valley of my intake. Fix it and i think i've got it settled. Then i drive to meet the guy and hit a bump, my antenna breaks at the mount area and then when i turn the car off it diesels. :banghead:

Needless to say, i still have the car. And now i'll be in the market for an antenna, a new carb(no more wasted time on this crappy edelbrock), and hopefully a few odds/ends to clean up the car.

So, a guy called me a few days ago to buy my duster. While i love the look of the car, i'm a bit tired of carb's and tuning it, but prior to today it ran nice and smooth.

Get up this morning, wash the car, leaving the car wash it develops a very noticeable off idle stumble, i get back to my apt. to diagnose it and a fuel line is seeping fuel into the valley of my intake. Fix it and i think i've got it settled. Then i drive to meet the guy and hit a bump, my antenna breaks at the mount area and then when i turn the car off it diesels. :banghead:

Needless to say, i still have the car. And now i'll be in the market for an antenna, a new carb(no more wasted time on this crappy edelbrock), and hopefully a few odds/ends to clean up the car.

Put a Holley on it and be done with it. Good luck with the sale.

I'm planning on it, i just can't find anything redeeming about that edelbrock.

Yes i have a 1406 thats for sale as well they are junk, will never own another eddy carb again. Its like jeckyl and hyde. I spent 8 hrs one day chasing that carb and got mad and pulled it off. put on a holley 670 avenger and never looked back.

bleh, I used a holley, had nothing but problems with it. I have a new, well 3 yo, 1406 and have had nothing but blue skys with it.

Now, to be honest, until I put a spacer underneath it after driving it a while it would run kinda shitty because it would get hot and start boiling fuel in the bowls. Once I got a 1 inch spacer though, it fixed that problem right up. I drove it up to and back from Iola, a 130 mile drive each way without a hitch.

If you keep the fuel pressure below 6 lbs and isolate it from heat, AFB's and Eddy's work fine. They require almost no maintenance

If you keep the fuel pressure below 6 lbs and isolate it from heat, AFB's and Eddy's work fine. They require almost no maintenance
Agreed. I ran a 625cfm AFB on my 318 for years (literally) without an issue.
I do like Holleys too, and have used them with very good success, also, but the AFB (or a pair of them) say MoPar far greater than a Holley. lol

I do like Holleys too, and have used them with very good success, also, but the AFB (or a pair of them) say MoPar far greater than a Holley. lol

A pair of AFB's??? :toothy5:

Do they make them in 38 - 40 DDD??? :D

AFB's, AVS's and Edelbrocks are all I run. I had a Holley on my 440 and was under the hood more than in the drivers seat. Used Eddy's on my last 9 cars and had no problems at all.

Been there, done that. At car show a couple decades ago I decided to sell my first 65 Barracuda. I put a sign in the window and about an hour later the positive battery cable caught fire right there at the show. We got the fire out quickly, but needles to say, it didn't sell that day.

I have to agree- Eddy carbs have been MUCH lees tempermental for me over the years. I even bought a used %50 one at a swap meet last month,just bolted it on, and it ran well enought to drive with no adjustment.

All the Holleys I've had in the past required almost constant adjustment to keep the mixture and idle speed correct.

I will say, that the Holleys seem to be better for dumping as much fuel as possible into an engine that goes to the track a lot.

...and I DO think the car is trying to tell you something.

My 70 Bee seemed to know when there was a female in the car, and whether or not the relationship was platonic. It do NOT like potential girfriends!

I have to agree- Eddy carbs have been MUCH lees tempermental for me over the years. I even bought a used %50 one at a swap meet last month,just bolted it on, and it ran well enought to drive with no adjustment.

All the Holleys I've had in the past required almost constant adjustment to keep the mixture and idle speed correct.

I will say, that the Holleys seem to be better for dumping as much fuel as possible into an engine that goes to the track a lot.

...and I DO think the car is trying to tell you something.

My 70 Bee seemed to know when there was a female in the car, and whether or not the relationship was platonic. It do NOT like potential girfriends!

Well, I've had it with eddy's and i'm in no mood to spend money on another one. So, right now the plan is to go for a holley 670 street avenger and more than likely have a shop tune it.

Then fix my antenna, clean up the trunk area(carpeting/whatnot). Then that should hopefully fix the little hiccups.

It can say whatever it wants, but eventually its gonna be history. I want efi and overdrive, and don't want to spend the cost of another muscle car with those features to put them into the duster.

Good luck with the Sale. Holley or Eddy....It doesn't matter as long as the rebuild is done right. I agree with the need of the Spacer underneath the Eddie's. I don't know the Science behind it but I was told a long time ago to use a Spacer. No problems ever since.

Ahem...it KNOWS you have lost "that lovin' feeling"...

Careful...there is a history of this particular manufacturer's products..let's just say, not dealing with scorn too well 8-[

Man I hear you on that. They seem to know don't they.

I broke what had until then been a rock solid transmission on the test drive with a potential buyer when I sold the Mustang.

Man I hear you on that. They seem to know don't they.

I broke what had until then been a rock solid transmission on the test drive with a potential buyer when I sold the Mustang.

haha that sucks. I'm hoping to fare a little better next time around. As of today, i have a new 750 carb in the mail, a trunk pad in the mail(mainly because i think the bare trunk takes away from the car), an antenna in my work car, and tomorrow morning i plan to order a drip rail from a junkyard.

lastly, gonna take a run to this GFX place to see if they can make me a decal for my gauge pod.

That should clear up all the odds/ends...at least until the next buyer wants to meet. :D

I hate my Holley. I adjust it every other day and it still runs crappy. My eddy 600 and 800 never gave me any problems and i never ever EVER had to adjust them. The 750 double pumper will be for sale very soon.

I hate my Holley. I adjust it every other day and it still runs crappy. My eddy 600 and 800 never gave me any problems and i never ever EVER had to adjust them. The 750 double pumper will be for sale very soon.

well i'm going for an "inbetween" carb. After reading some reviews i went for the summit 750 vac carb. Which is basically an updated holley 4010. So we'll see how that works out. The mustang forum that had the review gave it really high marks, with the only caveat being the first ordered carb had some casting flaws(but they exchanged it for no cost)

I couldnt justify another eddy after the nightmare the 1406 gave me and i didnt want to worry about the holley having a "bad day" when i go to meet someone for the next sale.

We'll see how it pans out. I live close enough to summit that most monday orders get to me on tuesday or early wednesday.

I have bought 3 new eddy's and took 2 back under warranty and sold the other one for $125 just to get it out of my sight, I wouldn't trade my one holley for 3 more, but that's why they make all different kinds, I have built countless holley's with much success and all my experiences with eddy's has all been bad plus my engines always seem more responsive with a holley

-
Back