Ar15 add-ons

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok well i could use some help! want to add some stuff like a 4 rail, front vertical grip, bi-pod, and light/laser combo...

its an A2 with bull barrel... 20"... anyways...

i was looking at firequest...

http://www.firequest.com/

do you guys prefere anywhere else? dont need Olympic quality stuff but i dont buy crap when it comes to guns either...

any helps would be grand!

Personally, unless you're going tacti-cool and need a quad rail, I'd recommend the JP Rifles rifle-length FFT, also known as their "modular hand guard system." I have one on my AR and it's versatile enough that I couldn't see replacing it with a quad rail.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg_mod.php

Personally, unless you're going tacti-cool and need a quad rail, I'd recommend the JP Rifles rifle-length FFT, also known as their "modular hand guard system." I have one on my AR and it's versatile enough that I couldn't see replacing it with a quad rail.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg_mod.php

thats cool! no what i guess i only need is two full rails, one one the bottom and either side or top(for lighting)... i use iron's with it so im thinkin top might be in the way...

That's what's great about the JP FFT setup...You can put rails where you need them.

Unless you're pig hunting, the laser/light combo is really pretty worthless. All I have on mine is a bipod, quick release optic and a foregrip. IMHO, anything else is just dead weight.

How about a Muzzle Brake ????...or a snazzy Flash Suppressor ????

Sorry bloke.....we haren't allowed weapons like that here.....the Govt. took our semi-auto rifles off us back in '96......:(

No worries, I heard about that and sorry to hear. I sure wouldn't mine owning one of those Lee Enfields in .308 one day.

The quad rails are heavy and bulky. They look cool, but you really don't need all that stuff hanging all over it. The first time I deployed, I got the "Gear-Queer" bug and had crap hanging all over my M4 when I first got there. It was down to just the ACOG, a light, and a fore grip that had a pop-out bipod. Usually during the day, I would take the light off and put it in my pack. The quad rails were issued, so I used it, but didn't like it because I usually shoot with my hand on the hand guard, not the fore grip.

Right now, my AR has regular hand guards on it, but I just ordered this one
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG440/184

It doesn't cost much, and I can put rails where I want on it, and even use short rails to keep the part I hold bare.
I'm also not a fan of scopes and red-dots, etc (some of the red-dots are ok), so I have iron sights on mine.

My AR didnt come with a flash suppressor and I bought it new around 94 or 95 if I remember corretly

Unless you're pig hunting, the laser/light combo is really pretty worthless. All I have on mine is a bipod, quick release optic and a foregrip. IMHO, anything else is just dead weight.

the only thing i would be hunting with it is a coyote in the yard, so i was thinking less than 100 yards the laser might be good, the flashlight for at night...

The quad rails are heavy and bulky. They look cool, but you really don't need all that stuff hanging all over it. The first time I deployed, I got the "Gear-Queer" bug and had crap hanging all over my M4 when I first got there. It was down to just the ACOG, a light, and a fore grip that had a pop-out bipod. Usually during the day, I would take the light off and put it in my pack. The quad rails were issued, so I used it, but didn't like it because I usually shoot with my hand on the hand guard, not the fore grip.

Right now, my AR has regular hand guards on it, but I just ordered this one
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG440/184

It doesn't cost much, and I can put rails where I want on it, and even use short rails to keep the part I hold bare.
I'm also not a fan of scopes and red-dots, etc (some of the red-dots are ok), so I have iron sights on mine.

yea i wasn't looking to load it for bare lol... but i was just thinkin of the stuff that might be use full for what i use it for...

bipod and 9x scope for the range
lazer and light for in yard targets, day/nite

and to be honest i have never shot with the front vert grip, so i dont know if i'll like it either lol...

and cool grips... but where would you mount a light? mine isn't a flat top...

ive just got a swivel bipod 14x scope on my H bar II and on the bushmaster ive got alot of crap laser pointer forearm battle grip fun stuff heres some pics
DSC01147-2.jpg

My AR didnt come with a flash suppressor and I bought it new around 94 or 95 if I remember corretly

mine didn't... not even threaded...

I suppose the bull barrel models don't due to the larger O.D. barrel. You'd have to have it cut down and threaded which more or less negates the whole idea of a bull barrel. Maybe a clamp on one is availible?

Get a bullet button and 10 round magazine upgrades. It's all the rage here in California!

Get a bullet button and 10 round magazine upgrades. It's all the rage here in California!

The funny part is half the 10 round magazines are converted 30 round mags so they still "look cool." That's like putting 6 beers in an 18 pack...just doesn't make sense.

10 round mags?? lol for real... 30's or go home... and yes i do remember... i was a cali guy for 18 years...

I suppose the bull barrel models don't due to the larger O.D. barrel. You'd have to have it cut down and threaded which more or less negates the whole idea of a bull barrel. Maybe a clamp on one is availible?

good point... i was thinkin maybe they made a bigger ID for one...

10 round mags?? lol for real... 30's or go home... and yes i do remember... i was a cali guy for 18 years...

In South Carolina we used 1 round mags. Not because of whiny, Liberal, Protectionist, pussyism,............ but because that's all we needed.:D

In South Carolina we used 1 round mags. Not because of whiny, Liberal, Protectionist, pussyism,............ but because that's all we needed.:D

agreed thats all you need in the bush but at the range its nice to be able to take more than one shot at a time at the range...

-
Back