Are all (cheap) headers created equally?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading about headers, because I'll be needing a pair.
It seems like every pair under $200.00 is exactly the same! The Hooker appear a bit different, but from what I read, but they have installation issues as well. So does it REALLY matter? The steel thickness is the same, they are all painted black, they all have a 3" collector, and the all have fitment issues!

If this is the case, why not just get the cheapest out there? Summit brand for $105.00.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

You actually answered your own question.... cheap is cheap.

The fitment issues w/ Hookers (and most others...) are due to them copying each other. And they all suck... Most cheapie headers require you wrap pipes around steering linkage and need a ball-peen hammer for final adjustments. Then once in, a speed bump will smash them flat because they hang so damn low.

On the other hand, a set of TTI's will offer you tons of ground clearance, but they don't exactly drop in either... even thought they cost upwards of $600 a set. If you do a search you'll find my TTI installation thread in the EXHAUST section of the forums for a 2nd. Gen. A body. There are TTI threads on the pre-67 cars too.

Some of the guys swear that the Dougs headers are the hot ticket as far as a good compromise between ground clearance, installation ease, and price. Search out threads on Dougs too.

Bottom line? You get what you pay for when it comes to $105 headers. The flanges are thin, which leads to warpage and leaks. The pipes are thin walled and the welds are marginal at best. And there's (the lack of) ground clearance.

If you live in a state with well maintained roads that are flat and smooth, go for the cheap stuff. But here in NYC we have bumps and potholes that will remove excess undercarriage components like a meat slicer. I smashed my Hookers on the very first road test I took after installing them. If you can afford a better set, buy them. But beware of the universally praised TTI's.... aside from cost, there's installation issues too. Especially with a 4 spd. and scatter shield.

Good luck!

I used the cheap summit ones in my ´69 dart. The right one was fitted without any problems and there´s enough ground clearence under the header. The left one needs the welder and the hammer but it seems to me that all the fitting problems came from the power steering. The right header is hanging low but not to low. Can ride the car without any probs.

-
Back