Are on board air systems out dated?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm in the process of fixing up our shop truck and I got to thinking....

Are on board air systems still viable?

With how good the cordless tools are it won't be running air ratchets, I'm not going rock crawling, so why even have on board air?

Not gonna lie, I just kinda want it but will it ever serve a purpose? (Train horn?)

What are your thoughts?

Do you have it, do you want it? Would you use it and how would you use it?

Edit- the vehicle is a 2004.5 Dodge ram, 2500 cummins 4x4. (Shop / work truck)

Thanks again for all your time and advice.

Last edited:
Tis better to have and not need.....than to need and not have.....

It might save yer butt when your 40 miles from nowhere.....

I carry one that can be clipped to the battery in my dedicated offroad vehicle. Airing four 35" tires from 10-32 PSI once is enough to burn up two 3AH Makita M12 batteries, and on some of my trips go from sand to hardpack repeatedly. I like having the unlimited availability and the dedicated compressor is much faster too. For regular car tires, I carry the Makita as an emergency thing more than for long duty cycles.

I thought about hardwiring the compressor in my truck, but felt that the convenience of moving it around outweighed the ease of not popping the hood.

It’s worth it. My brother has air on both his trucks and comes in handy all the time. The air bags, filling tires and the river side inter tubes just to name a few.

My tow pig (2005 Chevy 4500 kodiak) has an on board compressor and tank for exhaust brake activation, and I thought “I’ll tap in to the tank for filling tires and running tools” and initially thought I’d hardly ever use it but it would be nice to have. To be honest Ive used it a couple times for important stuff like tires or repairs but I absolutely love having a blow gun and compressed air to blow dirt and dust out of the inside of the cab. That’s what I use it for mostly.

I think it's well worth it. I had a ViaAir unit in my 08 Jeep. I may put one in Gladys eventually.

I had it on my Jeep. I had a York 210 (maybe 212?) compressor, plumbed with an oiler on the inlet side and an oil/water separator on the output. It went to a manifold that contained an air chuck and the pressure switch and relief valve with another line that lead to a 5 gallon tank mounted in the back and an air chuck on each bumper. You definitely need a high temp braided hose coming off the compressor, rubber ones got to hot and ruptured. For the rest of the system I just use regular 3/8" rubber pushlok hose. It would air up my 36" swampers from 5 to 35 psi in under a minute each. If I cracked the throttle open a little it would be even faster.

I guess the question is...what do you intend to use the truck for ?

If your just running parts I don't see a need
But if you pick up a lot of project cars, or are a "got tools will travel" mechanic it may pay off

My tow pig (2005 Chevy 4500 kodiak) has an on board compressor and tank for exhaust brake activation, and I thought “I’ll tap in to the tank for filling tires and running tools” and initially thought I’d hardly ever use it but it would be nice to have. To be honest Ive used it a couple times for important stuff like tires or repairs but I absolutely love having a blow gun and compressed air to blow dirt and dust out of the inside of the cab. That’s what I use it for mostly.
This is what my dad said, "well, it'd be nice to blow the cab out".

My plan for this truck is everything. So, on board air system it is!

Here is the one I am looking at.
I have lots of experience with these pumps and systems.

My plan is to add a second tank to take some of the load off the compressor. I don't feel I need twin compressors, I'd rather just run twin tanks.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflator/Viair/VA56WR.html

I'm not sure how this pump will last in the harsh inviroment of frame mount vs its normal life in a trunk...

Anyone try using a basic air ride set up as "on board air"?

Mine has a viair compressor (replacement after the factory gm compressor died) and their control relay all mounted to the stock tank. It works flawlessly. I have zero experience with any other kind of system. But mine is mounted under the Truck on the framerail and it’s been there a while with no problems.

Mine has a viair compressor (replacement after the factory gm compressor died) and their control relay all mounted to the stock tank. It works flawlessly. I have zero experience with any other kind of system.
Is your pump exposed to the elements? Frame mounted?

Sorry I edited my post before you could see it. Re read my post.

My plan is to put the entire system under the flat bed. I'm sure I can find room under there for twin tanks and a 12v compressor.

Heck 150Psi on a rattle gun will knock some stuff loose.

I am planning on buying a "bed crane" and the "air over pneumatic" kit from HF. This way I can run the bed crane with air. (I don't wanna pump that thing)

The bed is high, the spare tire is heavy as, I'm getting older and I want a crane in my pick up bed.

Dang it, I have become Rusty.

I would run two compressors if I were you. One compressor on two tanks won’t keep up with air tools, let alone a pneumatic air powered crane.

Dang it but I'm sure you are right.

So twin pumps and twin tanks?

That's what we run on most air ride systems. I'm just not familiar with the volume that the air over hydraulic uses.

we run our air over hydraulic stuff on a big industrial compressor so I have no experience trying to run that on "truck air".

Mostly I wanna be able to lift engine, Trans, snow blowers, all that stuff that can't be picked up alone.

If I was doing those ^^^ things I would do some math and size the compressor(s) accordingly. All tools have published cfm requirement specs as well as the air jack.

-
Back