Are Shorty Headers Worth Getting

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Well after looking at that Duster header post I am wondering if those shorty headers that Headman and others make would fit better and still flow OK, at least better than those factory manifolds, even the HP. Has anybody here use them and if so how did they fit and work. Even thinking of maybe just on the drivers side which is the ***** one and using the 4 and 1 header on the pass. side.

I assume you are talking about the Hedman shorty headers that look like street rod headers that dump in the middle. I have seen people on this site talk about them and have seen them in person and they do not fit well because the outlet dumps right on the center link.

@&*## What is it about these headers? Seems like they all are a pain. I hear some make homemade but it seems like you would need a tool shop to do it right. Ok thanks anyways

It's really not that awful to install headers. It took me and a buddy a full day's work, sure, but it was nothing impossible; just slow, determined working. A set of pickle forks and a big stick are a must to get the steering linkage to submit to your will. I didn't even have to jack up the engine to do it, though.

At least you can get your hands around the engine compartment with that wide engine bay. Consider it being lucky. Base headers for the early A start around $350ish.

my spitfires are shorytys - and i like them compared to manifolds!

I had no problems putting the Hooker Super comps on my Duster.....yes it is more involved than manifolds but they are twice the size.......I haven't seen a header yet for any make that just slides in like the manifold......you always have to massage them in. Get the TTI's and never worry about them again.

-
Back