Are the duster rear "hips" flared out or tangent to the doors?

-

Loggato

Reaction score
While doing some metal work on my 74, I noticed that the rear quarters do not appear to be tangent to the door. I checked the "good" side of my car to see if it matched and indeed, both sides seem to flare-out from the back of the door to the rear "point" of the quarter area. After reviewing about 2000 pictures, I've come to the conclusion that some Dusters do it, and others dont!

For example, the light green car below appears to be completely flat - rear quarter seems tangent to the door on every surface and body line, whereas the blue junkyard one with the side trim and the two silver Dusters appear to have some curvature. The cars with the bump-trim show it off quite well - much like mine had. (maybe a '74 thing)

I know it seems like the stripe makes it "look" off, but you can see it in the shadow and the reflection as well. I tried to show examples of cars without the stripe.

What do you think?

9-30-2019 5-05-14 PM.jpg

14-1972-Plymouth-Duster-Down-on-the-Junkyard-Picture-courtesy-of-Murilee-Martin-550x412.jpg

IMG_0526.JPG

9-27-2019 2-22-09 PM.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The quarters flare out. That can be measured at the wheel house, on a Dart the wheel house is 12” from inner well to the quarter lip. On a Duster, Demon or Dart Sport the distance is 13” from the inner well to the quarter lip. So the quarter is wider or flared by an inch. From the factory there’s a “hollow” or kind of concave section of the quarter, about 6” behind the doors where it flares. When they get repainted that sometimes gets filled flat during bodywork, but it’s not how they came.

The quarters flare out. That can be measured at the wheel house, on a Dart the wheel house is 12” from inner well to the quarter lip. On a Duster, Demon or Dart Sport the distance is 13” from the inner well to the quarter lip. So the quarter is wider or flared by an inch. From the factory there’s a “hollow” or kind of concave section of the quarter, about 6” behind the doors where it flares. When they get repainted that sometimes gets filled flat during bodywork, but it’s not how they came.

So it's supposed to be tangent with the door, and then start to bend outward 6" past the door?

I saw a few pictures that looked like that was the case.

Yeah immediately behind the door it’s flush. Then where the lowest body line starts to angle down there’s a little hollow section and that’s where the quarter starts to flare out a little. It isn’t much, but it’s not flat.

Here's a couple shots of the side of my Duster. You can see in both of them that the quarter is quite a bit further out than the doors. The door is fully flat, whereas the quarter has a fairly significant bow to it. I haven't pushed the quarters on my car at all (I have rolled the fender lips pretty hard).
IMG_2243.jpeg

IMG_2059.jpeg

Here's another one from a thread here, 340mike's car. Shows the quarters being wider than the doors pretty well.

3468c360-e93e-43ef-b20f-a59ea147f0ec-jpeg.jpg

They flare out. And if you notice there is an indent behind the door below the center body line. I won a car show because the indents were still there. The one judge was a mopar body man and I won for best body and paint . It looks like the orange car above they were taken out. Note the bulge. you can make them out on the top picture below. This car has its original quarters

spoiler pics 359.jpg

spoiler pics 660.jpg

Steve 110.JPG

did a little more them a yhin coating to get the look right on this 71 . now it has a blue wing . ten years after the car was done .
DSC00371.JPG
DSC00373.JPG
DSC08623.JPG
DSC08624.JPG

I tried to get some good pics of my Duster with all factory steel. 53xx original miles, about as unmolested as you will find. The quarters definitely have "dimples" behind doors as others alluded to. Although very easy to see with eye, they dont present as well in photos.
20191218_184915.jpg
20191218_184928.jpg
20191218_184955.jpg

Guys, this is all EXTREMELY helpful! The layers of bondo shown here were the attempt at the previous owner to smooth out those "dimples". I can tell he did the same on the other side too.

IMG_1883.JPG

-
Back