Are there roller lifters and cam that I can drop in my 340 with no modifications

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
needed , or do they all need some work . If there is a drop in setup guaranteed to work , no extra work needed , which setup is best ?

Any real world experience installing , running them ? Do I need to use roller rockers as well or can regular rockers be used ?

I run the MRL roller lifters with a Comp cam. The lifters were a straight drop in no mods. The cam, didn't have to change a thing from flat tappet either. I already had the roller lifters so I can't help ya on that answer but it probably would be a good idea to change over.

There are no drop in hydraulic roller setups for 340 LA, if for no other reason than there is no standard pushrod length for any of the aftermarket lifter options. A mechanical roller doesn't have the height issue with a simple slug and roller tip.

Hughes makes (sells) hydraulic roller lifters that have the link bar out of the way against the block and oil galley gap in correct location, but to work the design has a very tall lifter cup that needs a very short and highly angled pushrod. The pushrod length needs to be determined with a measuring pushrod with the correct ends that can be adjusted until the valve tip contact is optimal through the cam lift cycle, then sent off to a shop like Smith Brothers for a custom pushrod fabrication. There is no way around this procedure. Part of building an LA roller motor. Avoid any claims to the contrary, and avoid eBay lifters.

There are no drop in hydraulic roller setups for 340 LA, if for no other reason than there is no standard pushrod length for any of the aftermarket lifter options. A mechanical roller doesn't have the height issue with a simple slug and roller tip.Hughes makes (sells) hydraulic roller lifters that have the link bar out of the way against the block and oil galley gap in correct location, but to work the design has a very tall lifter cup that needs a very short and highly angled pushrod. The pushrod length needs to be determined with a measuring pushrod with the correct ends that can be adjusted until the valve tip contact is optimal through the cam lift cycle, then sent off to a shop like Smith Brothers for a custom pushrod fabrication. There is no way around this procedure. Part of building an LA roller motor. Avoid any claims to the contrary, and avoid eBay lifters.

WRONG. Stop living in the past and pay attention.

http://www.mrlperformance.com/

WRONG. Stop living in the past and pay attention. http://www.mrlperformance.com/
They only show solid roller lifters on that web site. The offset pushrod holes don't negate the need for real short custom pushrods. After doing tons of research, I like the Hughes, if you want hydraulics. You will want adjustable rocker arms. They don't need to be roller rockers, but I have not recently seen new adjustable rockers for sale that are not rollers. Also, one thing nobody mentioned yet is that as far as I know all non-Magnum heads will need to have the pushrod holes elongated to clear the more angled pushrods. That's probably a job for a machine shop, for most of us. Well, you have to take the heads off anyways to install the lifters, so that might also be something else to think about.

They only show solid roller lifters on that web site. The offset pushrod holes don't negate the need for real short custom pushrods. After doing tons of research, I like the Hughes, if you want hydraulics. You will want adjustable rocker arms. They don't need to be roller rockers, but I have not recently seen new adjustable rockers for sale that are not rollers. Also, one thing nobody mentioned yet is that as far as I know all non-Magnum heads will need to have the pushrod holes elongated to clear the more angled pushrods. That's probably a job for a machine shop, for most of us. Well, you have to take the heads off anyways to install the lifters, so that might also be something else to think about.
Just put the ede heads on with the special push rods we had made , , Don't want to start pulling stuff but what the hell , want more HP

-
Back