Are these gears workable?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 3.23 gears for a 489 case. I don't know what the history is, they came in the 8-3/4 I bought used. The pinion has one tooth on the drive side that is mildly pitted, the rest of the teeth look good. The ring has about 15-20 teeth that are more pitted as shown. Are these gears still workable? They are extras I was going to sell, but I don't want to pass them along if they are junk.

100_2089.JPG
100_2093.JPG

I have to agree. The pinion is passable, but the ring gear is pitted way too far.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is as I suspected, the ring didn't look good but I'll offer up the pinion cheap in case someone can use it and is on a budget.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is as I suspected, the ring didn't look good but I'll offer up the pinion cheap in case someone can use it and is on a budget.
Unfortunately it's just a paper weight. Ring and pinions are matched sets. If you mix and match them they do not work. I learned that the hard way when I was a kid. Tried mixing and matching a ring/pinion set and it howled like a banshee

Aha. Thanks for the heads up. I shall send the offending critters to the recycle pit.

-
Back