Are these new rear shackles "defective"?

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just got these new rear shackles for 69 cuda. Each shackle has what looks like a "defect", like it was pressed in to the link a little much?
Should I be concerned?
TIA

20200617_210954.jpg

20200617_211013.jpg

20200617_211133.jpg

20200617_211150.jpg

20200617_222824.jpg

Yup. I see that as a premature failure. My solution would be to grind the cracked part away and weld it.
Can send them back, but i have a feeling they all will be like that.

Yup. I see that as a premature failure. My solution would be to grind the cracked part away and weld it.
Can send them back, but i have a feeling they all will be like that.

Yep, weld them up . . Good to Go

Not worth the hassle of sending them back and them shipping you another pair.

Looks like a parting fracture that wasn’t cleaned up. Probably something to do with the tooling used to size the pins. Appears to be excess on the end of the pin, so, it shouldn’t hurt anything if that’s what it is.

If you’re concerned about it grinding it off and putting a spot weld between the pin and the arm would solve it. Probably overkill, but that isn’t something you want coming apart.

I bought a pair from Year One and they were perfect !

Pretty much all of that stuff comes from the same place, Year One is a retailer not a manufacturer. So getting a “perfect set” from one retailer vs another probably has more to do with how long the stock was sitting on the shelf rather than it being an indication of a higher quality part. Been seeing that with the Moog parts recently, there was a change in production and the new stock doesn’t fit. But getting the older stock is a crapshoot, just depends on what’s on the shelf.

Pretty much all of that stuff comes from the same place, Year One is a retailer not a manufacturer. So getting a “perfect set” from one retailer vs another probably has more to do with how long the stock was sitting on the shelf rather than it being an indication of a higher quality part. Been seeing that with the Moog parts recently, there was a change in production and the new stock doesn’t fit. But getting the older stock is a crapshoot, just depends on what’s on the shelf.
Well I guess I was lucky then !

-
Back