Are traction bars the answer?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been answered a million times before but I had to ask. Many of you have seen my 67 GTS. It is restored to look original except for the engine internals, headers, carb and intake. Because of these mods the car has about 425-450 horse. It has a 489 case with 3:55 gears in it and a 4 speed car. I have the heavy duty 5 1/2 leaf springs on the car as original with the factory short pinion snubber but there is major wheel hop. I believe that everything was put back as original during restoration. Is this a common problem that could be corrected with traction/ladder bars or is the geometry off? E.g. Pinion angle, need aftermarket pinion snubber adjust height, etc? I don't want to do many mods to car it is too valuable. I did have an adjustable pinion snubber on it and set the preload about 1 inch from floor but driving around it banged constantly. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.

Carl

Clamp the front half of the springs. You can make them yourself or buy them from Mopar Performance. It basically does the same thing as a traction bar by making the front half of the spring stiffer than the rear.

If Longgone's suggestion doesn't work (probably will and at a low cost)

This could be your next step.

Your springs may be old. I bet a new set of XHD springs and getting the snubber adjusted correctly would take care of the problem.

You don't want traction or ladder bars. But these may be an option…………

http://www.calvertracing.com/caltracs.php

Just so everyone knows all the suspension components including the leaf springs are brand new.

Carl

-
Back