Are you a purist?

-
Well......#1....car guys (and gals) love a challenge and love to be the first, or one of the early ones, to do something that very few have got the capability or cajones to try, like a modern drivetrain install. And as far as "ricer technology"......I've never looked at that as a negative; actually it works to our benefit.

20 intercooled pounds of boost on a slant 6 or a huge displacement engine like a 440!?........I'll take that. These Mopar engines were built like a brick house.

I like to add performance and some interior comfort whats more fun than pulling up next to a ricer and seeing the confused look on their faces as most have no clue as to what these cars are.
Then the fun starts they rev the mesquito they drive, I open the dumps and watch as they drive away slow scared of a old guy in old mussle and still confused..

I have 5 66 Valiants/Barracudas. 2 will be original driveline (rebuilt engine and trans in both) and interiors with some body panel replacements. All five - new paint - 2 original color - 3 color changes. 1 will retain original hubcaps, 4 will run 14" period correct Crager SS - I just don't care for big wheels and low profile tire combo on old cars. I drive a 2010 F-150 Kingranch that has 20' s and all the toys and the wife's Taurus X has 18's and all the toys - don't need em on the classics. 1 Barracuda will have Sebring convertible buckets with the built in shoulder belts and 2 tone interior and a 318. 2 slants will receive engine trans plants 1 lower mileage which will become my daily good weather driver and the other for a performance 225. I also picked up a 56 F-100 that is 90% restored but painted a non 56 color, engine is red - should be yellow - and is missing original wheels and hubcaps. These items will be put back to original specs to retain original stock look. Only mods will be the louvred hood, headers/ dual exhaust and a tri- power set up which were common changes made back in the day. I may even throw a set of 56 T-Bird valve covers on it Too!

Talk about a purist - I have 2 friends who gave me hell about the Cragers on my Signet vert - nothing but original equipment is acceptable to them!!!

Talk about a purist - I have 2 friends who gave me hell about the Cragers on my Signet vert - nothing but original equipment is acceptable to them!!!

:D

That is too funny, seems like every other car had them back in the day. They were better wheels to, the chrome peels off the newer ones usually in a year or less. Not original no, period equipment, yes!!

Like Tim and a few others in this thread (read top to bottom), I love backyard tech. Day 2 is awesome, because it lends a lot about the owner and their ideas.

I love seeing people's ideas come to life.

My preferences for things follow up on original aesthetics. I'm not dropping original wheels on the studs of my '68 Charger, but they are long gone off of shelves and catalogs.

I even like stickers on cars that aren't factory, when you see old ones.

Found this oil breather on eBay. I needed one for a filler on the Direct Connection covers, but the round ones didn't do it for me.

I couldn't find a Direct Connection logo breather to match the covers, but this is the same shape. Without the DC logo, I wanted something, so I ruined a perfectly good NOS Kendall sticker to pay homage to the roots of the Brad Penn that I run.

318breather_zpsbed51fbb.jpeg

One thing that I will just throw out there that drives me batty, regardless of new or old, is going overboard on modifications for aesthetics.

All of these throwback cars, '71+ wing cars, new trucks... All of them have the same thing in common; They put too much on one vehicle.

hemi six pack superbee daytona shaker hood go wing convertible... sure. Put them all on one car. Don't forget a bumblebee stripe. Put a bumblebee stripe on everything.

One of the things that I like about the old cars, vs new, is how much variety there was, between each car. When I see everyone sticking the same thing on every car, or ALL the things on one car, it begins to lose that appeal.

I have 2 360 engines, 2 factory a body buckets and 2 gorgeous, original chrysler part number dual snorkel hood scoop sets COLLECTING DUST because I don't want to put them in the Scamp. Bumblebee stripes are sweet. Buckets and hood scoops too. But not on this one. I'll save them for something else.

I'm not saying don't mod. I'm saying choose your mods wisely and think about how many features you want and why you want them on your car. Realize that each one is a feature that will be thought about by others. Cragars? sure. How about sticking a set of Hurst slicks on the back and some silvertown redlines up front on them, so they fit the era, over the BFGs?

-
Back