Argument needs settled. Back up lights.

-

Glow Worm

"Not Your Grandmaw's 318"
Reaction score
My back up lights aren't working.

I say I probably will need to replace the switch on the transmission, and my buddy says that switch is only the neutral safety switch.

I say it does both functions.

(This is a 1966 904)

Who is right? Am I buying, or drinking?

I know that the later trannys had both the neutral safety and back up in them but I believe I have heard guys here say that one switch is on the tranny and the other on the column or console but I don't know which one is were. I am sure someone will tell us.

Chuck

Cant say for sure on a 66 but my 64 was on the pushbutton shifter.Either way you're drinking!

So who had to pay for the drink's. :dontknow:

Oldvart cleared the table! :drinkers:

This is only for an automatic car. if the switch on the trans has one connection then the back up light is either on column shift underneath the dash on the column or if it is floor shifted it is on the shifter mechanism under the console. You can convert it to the later model switch. A service manual would make things alot easier to figure out. (I converted my car to the later style), mainly because the old back up switches I had were trashed.

Give me a few days to check this out (yes...days). I'm working on some "other" stuff right now, and this is near the bottom of the list.

I do know that there is a switch on the column, and I replaced it. It didn't help.

I'll keep you posted.

My 68 the switch on the tranny is for the backup lights (car has manual tranny).

B/u light switches were either on the column or shifter up through 65. In 66 they were combined with the neutral safety switch in the 3 prong switch in the transmission.

Still haven't gotten around to checking out the switch on the transmission.

I bought a used wiring harness for the dash, and I REALLY need to put that in before I have major problems. My headlight switch plug is being held together with a hope and a prayer.......

I'm going to compare the harness to the color coded wiring diagram I bought, and see if I can trace some "other" problems......

Working under that dash is SO MUCH DAMNED FUN!!!!! I can't wait to get started.... :angry4:

If your neutral safety switch has 3 prongs and the wire connector has 3 wires then the it's also the reverse lamp switch. If it has one wire than it's just a neutral safety switch.

The two outer poles of the switch are for the reverse lights. If you have continuity through them with the shifter in reverse then the switch is good. Make sure the linkage is also properly adjusted. The center terminal just grounds the starter relay when the shifter is in park or neutral.

-
Back