Arm Rest Paint?

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
Anyone ever try the Vinyl paint to update their armrest color to match interior. It seems impossible to find Black Armrests for a 68' Dart. I have Green ones now. So last resort, I'll try and paint them :(

I did mine that way because I didn't want to send the armrests out to get rechromed. $$$. They came out looking nice. Make sure to use an adhesion promotor on any plastic or vinyl pieces. I did my door panels and the convertible panels this way. Everything came out looking nice and is color matched. Just hoping everything holds up nice.

This is great.... :thumbup:

Thanks for all the info, now at least I have an idea of where to start. :wav:

I did everything except the headliner and carpet with SEM vinyl dye to change the blue interior to black. I even change a seat from white to balck with the SEM material. The armrest pads, door panels, dash pad have been holding up for the past 7 years and 40k miles.

You have to clean clean clean, I used an ammonia based cleaner. After which i used the SEM vinyl or plastic prep, appropriate before applying the spray color.

NOTE: if you get any fish eyeing then you haven't cleaned enough and you need to get the dye off before it drys and clean some more.

You Guys are awesome... :thumbup: ... I was wondering how I was going to handle the Dash. It's currently that Dark Forest Green, want to go Black, figure Black would go with any color on the outside.

Aside from the cleaning, did you have to do any sanding or scruffing up the vinyl for the dye to take hold?

Thanks...

Tacfire11 said:
You Guys are awesome... :thumbup: ... I was wondering how I was going to handle the Dash. It's currently that Dark Forest Green, want to go Black, figure Black would go with any color on the outside.

Aside from the cleaning, did you have to do any sanding or scruffing up the vinyl for the dye to take hold?

Thanks...

no sanding or scuffing. just scrubing. I used simple green for the dirt and grim then some mineral spirits for any oils. Then wiped dry with terry cloth then tacky cheese cloth. Vinyl prep then color. Pretty simple and looks good. SEM is good stuff. I wanted mine color matched light blue metallic so i got mine from CarQuest. They mixed it right up.

-
Back