Asking Anyone in The NC Triad Area

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I need to install the windshield and rear glass in my 65 Cuda, and I've called a bunch of the area auto glass places, and I got all kinds different quotes and all of them pretty high. Does anyone know someone that's does a fair job at a fair price the can come to my garrage to install them? I have everything needed to do the job if someone out there would like to help me put them in:D

Matt

I'm assuming the NC triad area is Burke, Caldwell and Catawba right? Call Hickory Body Shop and tell them that Matt referred you. They'll cut you a deal.

EDIT: just googled it and found out the Triad area is Greensboro, Winston Salem and Highpoint. Oops. Well if you are willing to travel to hickory call Hickory Body Shop.

Thanks Matt, the glass is out of the car so I can't really drive especially all the way to Hickory, but I wish I could!

I can tell you how step by step if you like. You and one more person can do it just as easily as anyone else.

1. Get a length of 1/4" nylon rope about twice the circumference as the biggest piece of glass you need to install......probably the windshield. You want plenty of rope so don't short yourself.

2. Fit the windshield gasket to the windshield.

3. Find the channel that fits in the windshield pinch weld.

4. Take Dawn dishwashing detergent and apply a liberal amount filling the pinch weld channel in the gasket all the way around.

5. Install the 1/4" rope into the channel all the way around, with the rope ends joining at the bottom and exiting the interior of the car in the middle of the dash.

6. Position the windshield and gasket into the windshield opening getting as much of the pinch weld into the channel with the rope as possible along the bottom edge.

7. With someone on the outside pushing against the bottom in the center, get inside and pull the rope out of the channel as the person on the outside pushes against you as you pull the rope out. Make sure they follow you all the way around, pushing in on the gasket as you pull the rope out. This turns the inside lip and allows it to slip over the pinch weld and installs the windshield.

All of this of course is assuming you have the pinch welds clean. After the glasses are installed, rinse the soap thouroghly and let it dry completey. Then, take a caulking gun with clear silicone caulk and stick the nipple under the outer lip between the outer lip and pinch weld and run a bead of caulk all the way around to seal it. You can even put a bead of silicone into the windshield channel before you put the gasket on, but I have never had one leak from there before. It's always between the pinch weld and gasket where they leak. If you were a little closer, I would come help you myself. There's really nothing to it. If the rope slips, don't get frustrated. You'll see what's going on after one try and it will become evident. I promise you, this is something that you can do. PM me if you want and I can walk you right through it on the phone.

Rob

www.JMCAutoworks.com Call these guys they do TONS of restos and have a good glass man that will travel to you depending on how far from Burlington you are

I can tell you how step by step if you like. You and one more person can do it just as easily as anyone else.

1. Get a length of 1/4" nylon rope about twice the circumference as the biggest piece of glass you need to install......probably the windshield. You want plenty of rope so don't short yourself.

2. Fit the windshield gasket to the windshield.

3. Find the channel that fits in the windshield pinch weld.

4. Take Dawn dishwashing detergent and apply a liberal amount filling the pinch weld channel in the gasket all the way around.

5. Install the 1/4" rope into the channel all the way around, with the rope ends joining at the bottom and exiting the interior of the car in the middle of the dash.

6. Position the windshield and gasket into the windshield opening getting as much of the pinch weld into the channel with the rope as possible along the bottom edge.

7. With someone on the outside pushing against the bottom in the center, get inside and pull the rope out of the channel as the person on the outside pushes against you as you pull the rope out. Make sure they follow you all the way around, pushing in on the gasket as you pull the rope out. This turns the inside lip and allows it to slip over the pinch weld and installs the windshield.

All of this of course is assuming you have the pinch welds clean. After the glasses are installed, rinse the soap thouroghly and let it dry completey. Then, take a caulking gun with clear silicone caulk and stick the nipple under the outer lip between the outer lip and pinch weld and run a bead of caulk all the way around to seal it. You can even put a bead of silicone into the windshield channel before you put the gasket on, but I have never had one leak from there before. It's always between the pinch weld and gasket where they leak. If you were a little closer, I would come help you myself. There's really nothing to it. If the rope slips, don't get frustrated. You'll see what's going on after one try and it will become evident. I promise you, this is something that you can do. PM me if you want and I can walk you right through it on the phone.

Rob

Thanks RustyRatRod. I feel pretty confident I can do it myself, but I would need help and most of my friends are not to mechanically inclined so it's hard to get someone to help! Any offers? There could be a 12 pack or something in it for you! :D

Here's a video on youtube that shows it pretty well (it's for a Mustang but it's be pretty much the with the exception of aplying the lockstrip):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7Prioj9Xo"]1965 to 1968 Ford Mustang Windshield Installation by Mustangs To Fear (MTF) Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Hey rj72cda, I think those guys would work sure, but I'm on the Winston side of High Point so it would be a stretch for them to come all the way out.

I'm in middle Georgia. I'd do it for free if we were closer.

-
Back