Assistance in wiring Electronic Conversion Kit - '65 Barracuda 273 Commando

-

kbakewell

Kevin & Michael Bakewell
Reaction score
Hello, Mopar friends! This is my first post in quite some time and I'm hoping someone with experience in electronic conversions can help. I am upgrading an older electronic conversion kit in my '65 Cuda to the Mopar Electronic Conversion Distributor Kit (part. no. 440-426). I know my way around Mopars and have rebuilt a few over the years but electronics/ignition have always been my weak point. The install of this kit is fairly simple, but where I am stuck is the connectivity between the ballast resistor and the start and run wires from the ignition switch or, alternatively, the starter relay (the instructions mention both methods). I am assuming that the start and run wires from the ignition switch ultimately connect to the starter relay, is that correct? If so, how do I know which connection on the relay is which? I've identified the neutral safety switch wire so ruled that one out. I recently replaced the ignition switch so I am very familiar with those wires on the back of the switch. Should I be trying to tie in directly to the start and run wires coming from the back of the ignition switch? I've attached a pic of the diagram in the instructions. Thanks for the help from anyone who's installed one of these!

IMG_1833.jpg

I kept it simple and just tapped into the blue run wire off the ballast resistor. Make sure you have the case grounded well, I used a ground strap. Hook the black wire to the negative side of the coil. Very straight forward. 65'

I kept it simple and just tapped into the blue run wire off the ballast resistor. Make sure you have the case grounded well, I used a ground strap. Hook the black wire to the negative side of the coil. Very straight forward. 65'
Thanks so very much my '65 Mopar friend! Great solution from someone who's been there! Appreciate it! Kevin

Make sure to use the electronic ignition ballast resistor supplied with the kit. 65'

-
Back