At a tough spot career-wise... not sure what to do

-
Check out Basin Electric Power Coop. I see they have 2 engineering intern positions.

In Mississippi I don't know if you need a lisence to crop dust judging by the number of planes I have seen hanging from power lines lol. Man I mean back in the day those guys were crazy flying under power lines and stuff but very entertaining lol.

That's what I'm saying, dangerous work, especially for someone with no flight experience.

My daughter( she couldn't find a job with her bachelors degree but had one before finishing her masters) used to work in HR for McLean-Fogg out of Chicago. Always was looking for engineers. But she would go on college recruiting trips and said they all felt they should be running the department. No one wanted to start at the bottom and earn they're way up. Used to bug the hell out of her. Express interest in learning the company and being part of the team instead of telling everyone their doing it wrong, be willing to move and I would hope you can get your foot in the door somewhere. Good Luck!!

Well said. There are quite a few Millennials in some of the departments I work with and most of them expect to be a senior manager/director only after working 2 to 6 years at the company. The thought of 'putting your time in' and being humble is a lost concept on most of that generation.

If you want to work in Automotive most entry level jobs are hired by contract houses. There are many engineering support firms that do a lot of serious engineering for Ford, GM & FCA; examples are Rousch & McLaren. Then there are suppliers like Bosch, Lear and many more. The major auto companies really just want to manage products not develop them.
You also might concider working for a race team if you can handle Indianapolis or North Carolina; these guys need someone that can actually do things like you.
I can't suggest going for Masters, when you do get a job then you can think about it because they might pay for it.

Important Part - Don't despair. I know it seems impossible and with everything online it is harder than what us old folks had to deal with.
Like you I graduated with a BSME when the economy was in the toilet. Took a very low paying engineering position, a friends fromschool started with me, he was working part time at Ups and took a pay cut! But I ended up at Chrysler and was the performance development guy for the Magnum engines and then made the old Jeep 4.0L an "Ultra-Low Emisions Vehicle" (ULEV ) engine, but that's another story.

Corning, Inc is always advertising for engineers.

So is SystemOne.

SystemOne has placement all over the country, usually in the rail industry. They place with CAF, Alstom, Kawasaki, Siemens.

I would stay with what you know. The FAA has the minimum hours for commercial pilots license, but the Insurance co really control the aviation industry. Very difficult for anyone to hire a low time pilot because the insurance co require much more flight time than the FAA does. If you think it is hard to find a job in your field now, after spending a lot of time and money in flight school you would be right back in the same situation you are now. Do not get me wrong, I work in aviation but it is a long road till you start getting even moderate income. The pilots on the small commuter airlines only make a couple of hundred every week, they only do it to build flight time to get in with a major airline. If still interested go to a local airport and ask around. Also most there is the medical to worry about. I was flying helicopters for about 7-8 years, just getting to the point of making some good money, got sick, ended up with type 1 diabetes and lost my medical for commercial work. luckily could fall back on the mechanics side of aviation.

Get a job in the trade that pertains to your degree. Get some field time. Get your hands dirty. When they find out what you know you will advance. You can move up in the company and your resume will become better.

Well said. There are quite a few Millennials in some of the departments I work with and most of them expect to be a senior manager/director only after working 2 to 6 years at the company. The thought of 'putting your time in' and being humble is a lost concept on most of that generation.

See I can't stand that entitlement BS, my dad always told me "you aren't worth anything in the world to other people unless you put in EFFORT and persevere and prove yourself. You will NEVER get anything you truly want just sitting around on your *** expecting someone to hand it to you." Literally his words.

I feel like if I got hired at a place full of Millennials like that I would want to mess with them soo hard. I'd have to bite my tongue to keep from calling them out on their entitled-ness, "So did your daddy buy you an Xbox when you were 12 just because you asked for it?" Lol I had to go a full year of school and get good grades before my dad would even think of getting me stuff like that when I was a child. And to think I used to complain why all the other kids I knew got whatever they wanted... it's painfully obvious now what he was trying to accomplish.

spending more time and money for more education in a saturated field you cant even find a entry level position in don't make sense less your sure it gonna put you on top of mount high! but dont feel bad 70 % of people with degrees never work in there field of study! make your money where it comes the easyest,..make your hobbys things you love! job gonna be a job no matter how much you love it at first!

Ever given thought to working in the public sector? Excellent benefits and job security. The process is a pain in the *** to get in, which drives a lot of would-be applicants away. Smaller applicant pool = better odds to land a job.

I didn't see where your degree is from. I would go back and hit those contacts hard. The guy you would bs with and do machining with would be a great start but not the only option. You can even ask them to network for you if you play your cards right. When I hire attitude and effort count as much as anything. BTW before you apply, do some research on the company you are applying to. Are they working on a project, talk about how your skills can help it along. Do they specialize in anything in particular, talk about how your projects in college prepared you for just this specialty. If you sound like you already fit in your odds go thru the roof, not just applicant 117. Good luck.

Ever given thought to working in the public sector? Excellent benefits and job security. The process is a pain in the *** to get in, which drives a lot of would-be applicants away. Smaller applicant pool = better odds to land a job.

My dad recommended that multiple times, I applied for one or two jobs a long time ago and you are right the application process is a PITA. But I'll get back to checking USAJobs.com regularly that's the website the government uses for hiring.

My dad recommended that multiple times, I applied for one or two jobs a long time ago and you are right the application process is a PITA. But I'll get back to checking USAJobs.com regularly that's the website the government uses for hiring.

Isn't USAjobs just for federal government jobs? You may want to look into all levels of government- state, county, city, etc. I work for a State agency in CA and we hire engineers all the time. As I type this, we have two openings; and that's just for my agency. There's a lot out there. I'm thinking you may want to just broaden your search a bit.

Hey all, just wanted to get some advice from the great people on this forum and vent some of my frustrations regarding what to do with my career. I'm 26 years old next month, I went to school for a Mechanical Engineering degree and graduated May 2014. I applied for jobs left and right and got nothing for almost a year because even though I can engineer and build things on my own better than any of my classmates did my GPA wasn't the greatest and with this stuff it's all about the numbers. I finally started fixing hot-tubs for my friend's family business just so I wasn't dead broke. Did that a few months and then I got hooked up with my current job (started Nov. 2015) which is basically inspecting and occasionally repairing cell phone towers around the country. The job itself isn't too bad but the pay is crap and it's definitely not the industry I want to make a career in.

So here's where I am now. I figured out that not only is our economy still bad (duh), but the engineering industry(s) are SATURATED with people trying to find jobs. All I heard through college was "Oh wow you're studying engineering you're going to get a great job and make lots of money!" NOT!! My father, bless his heart, has offered to loan me money to go back to school and get my Master's degree so I can find a dang "real" job.

But one day I was watching YouTube videos about aircraft engines and happened to click on a video about crop dusting... when I saw that I was like "Holy S*** that looks awesome!!!" and then I saw another video explaining how there's very high demand for agricultural pilots and crop dusting because all of the current pilots are simply getting old and can't do it anymore. I looked it up and if I go to an Ag-specific flight school I could get an Ag pilot license in only three months and supposedly the money is good too (possible to break six figures in a year's work with some luck). But then my concern is if I become a pilot it would be even more difficult for me to get back into mechanical engineering which is really my passion (you guys think this is true??).

I need to get my life going here, I'm fed up with making chump change flying all over the country and doing what's essentially mundane tasks that insult my intelligence. Should I go for my Ag pilot's license and get things moving post-haste, or should I go back to school for my Master's (mind you the earliest I could enroll is for the Spring 2018 semester) and still not really be guaranteed anything, even though I love the subject?
seriously, move to Indiana, there's right now over 4500 listing with Fortune 500 companies for Mechanical Engineering within 100 miles of me.

Isn't USAjobs just for federal government jobs? You may want to look into all levels of government- state, county, city, etc. I work for a State agency in CA and we hire engineers all the time. As I type this, we have two openings; and that's just for my agency. There's a lot out there. I'm thinking you may want to just broaden your search a bit.
no, they often list municipal and state jobs too.

A tiny percentage though. Much too small to use it as the only place to search for government jobs.
of course, I'm hunting now actually, I go on every job site I can find. Increase my chances.

Go do something that you really like regardless of pay and you will enjoy getting up each day and going into work each day. Perhaps you can retake a few classes and see if you can get your gpa above a 3.0.

Ok. First off, I may have missed it. Are you willing to move? Anywhere? When you start, you need to be willing to move to start I think.

Next, I don't fly fixed wing. I am a rotor wing guy. Retired military, contracting in Croatia. CFII.

Here is my take. In three months of training, you are even smart enough to know how many times you almost killed yourself. Understand companies insurance costs are based off you hours. Which would be almost none.

Also, your paycheck is dependent on one piece of paper. Your flight physical. Unemployment/being broke is one condition away. All that money and time invested in flying, can be gone for the rest of your life.

But, life is about choices.

In a land where there are 117 qualified applicants, the degree you hold doesn't mean as much as who YOU are!! You must stand out above the rest! Going into a possible employment situation, you must seem eager.....eager to work, eager to learn, and eager to help the company accomplish their goals! Confidence in yourself, but not cockiness, eager but not overbearing, concerned and interested in the company you are applying for, and armed with some knowledge of what they do! An applicant who has knowledge of the company and is eager to learn more will always get a leg up!! "I see you are a company that does ____" is a great way to show knowledge, and a follow up of "I'd like to learn more about what you do and how I could fit into your plans" makes companies notice you! I can hear in your posts that you are motivated to do your best, make sure you show that!! And above all, don't give up, follow up! If someone were to come to my company and request to be hired, then follow up a couple times, that shows me you want to work!! Most companies have to chase down people to hire, hense the glorified 3 month results boasted by schools and companies all over!!

I have great confidence in young people like you, you can beat the competition with your attitude, which is what most companies really want! Don't let them settle for the other 116 possible candidates!!!

As a pilot there is no way you can go from zero flight experience to a job qualified ag pilot in 3 months. That is very dangerous, demanding flying. I know a couple people that do/have done it and it's not something you will get in quickly. 3 months for someone with a commercial pilots license maybe, even then it would be a very intense 3 months. I think you didn't read the fine print of that ad.
Absolutely agree. I'm an Navy pilot/airline pilot that went to an aviation college....and backally is absolutely right. Flight schools use this type of garbage all the time. Feed prospective students this garbage that they'll be fully qualified in xx months and will be uber-marketable. Which on paper, may be true. No-one will touch you though. You may have the ratings...but so does the guy with 10,000 hours you're competing against. Or the military pilot leaving the service with three combat tours under his belt. That's your competition man. The road to a well paid, stable pilot gig is a LONG one...make no mistake.

Regarding returning to school for masters, I'd say negative. People do this all the time and only graduate with an MS in 2 more years, more in debt, and still can't land the gig that they want.

Do whatever it takes to get in the industry you want. Take the shittiest job, at the shittiest location, at the shittiest pay....if it's in the field you want and can potentially get your food in the door, DO IT. You have to do what others won't if you want to break out. Wise words from my granddad when I joined the Navy: "Be the best toilet scrubber you can." I'm like WTF...I'm trying to become a pilot?! Eventually, they'll need a toilet scrubber supervisor, eventually they'll need someone to manage the entire facilities staff, eventually they'll need someone to manage the entire division, eventually they'll need...... You get the point.

Best of luck brother. Feel free to PM me for aviation questions. The market is quickly changing and the flight schools are the WORST place to get valid guidance.

Do whatever it takes to get in the industry you want. Take the shittiest job, at the shittiest location, at the shittiest pay....if it's in the field you want and can potentially get your food in the door, DO IT. You have to do what others won't if you want to break out. Wise words from my granddad when I joined the Navy: "Be the best toilet scrubber you can." I'm like WTF...I'm trying to become a pilot?! Eventually, they'll need a toilet scrubber supervisor, eventually they'll need someone to manage the entire facilities staff, eventually they'll need someone to manage the entire division, eventually they'll need...... You get the point.

Best of luck brother. Feel free to PM me for aviation questions. The market is quickly changing and the flight schools are the WORST place to get valid guidance.

This post is spot on and the last two paragraphs are gold.

The majority of older kids have degrees these days. Trouble is, how do you differentiate yourself from all the other kids who also have degrees now? A degree now is only slightly more valuable than the value a high school diploma 30 years ago. 30 years ago the kids with degrees automatically jumped to the top of an employers queue without ever setting eyes on the applicant. You need to show how you're different (ambitious with a dose of humbleness) from all the other kids with degrees and sometimes that means doing some less desirable work (working in the middle of no where) since a lot of the other kids with degrees will turn their nose up at that thought. That is what will get you in the door. Once you're in the door, you will have a lot more options to choose if you keep up your good work ethic.

As others have mentioned, it's also a lot about who you know instead of it being about what you know. Don't be fooled by schools who say "90%+ of our graduates are employees within xx months of graduating" as it's a pretty vague claim. While it might be true, are all 90% working in the field they studied in? And of those actually working in their field of study, how many had connections (warm referral) to help them get their foot in the door?

Also, keep in mind that all graduate schools are in the business of making money. In other words, they are puppy mills. They need to keep impregnating the mother (ie: school) to ensure the puppies (students) walk through the admission door with their cash. The gestational period is varies (1 yr, 2 yrs) depending on the graduate degree and not all of them make it to birth (graduate) due to dropping out. However, the mother (school) will sell you on the great time, friends you make and and comraderie you will have while inside her womb (school) also as a way to convince you to walk through the admission doors. Deep down, does the school really care if you find a job in your field of work within xx months?

As a pilot there is no way you can go from zero flight experience to a job qualified ag pilot in 3 months. That is very dangerous, demanding flying. I know a couple people that do/have done it and it's not something you will get in quickly. 3 months for someone with a commercial pilots license maybe, even then it would be a very intense 3 months. I think you didn't read the fine print of that ad.
My thoughts EXACTLY. Have a neighbor, Leroy, that is a retired FAA inspector. He has a couple of planes and trains folks to get their lincense. In talking with him he told me that most of his students take a good 6-9 months of fairly intensive training to get a license. Grass ain't always greener on the other side...

-
Back