ATF+3?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Just bought a ton at an auction, don't yet know exactly how much. Won't know my total haul til I go back with my trailer tomorrow. Got a mix of different oils, can't tell what all is in there, just saw the boxes in the pix marked "+3".
I know everyone harps on "+4".….. "+4"..... For our cars. Chrysler is the only carmaker not listed on most current universal atf on the market....
Is there really that much difference between +3 and +4?
I'm sure it would be fine in my 904, my 727, my 46RE (x2) but not sure about the 65rfe in my '12, being as how "+4" was on the market by then.... What is the difference between+3 and +4?
I got it because I paid more for my last 5 quarts of +4 when I serviced the Durango, than I was accustomed to paying for a case (of 12, somehow recently a "case" at the store, is somehow only 6.... And this was too cheap to pass up, surprised no one bid against me....

The plus crap reduces chatter with lockup.
lots of guys use type F since it has non.
I used the +3 and trans was still hard but I do have high pressure and a reverse manual vavle body, lots of billet, all good parts. And a good converter built for me by Paul at Turbo Action.
I think that matters.

Last edited:
Atf4 is fully synthetic, atf3 is conventional or a blend I believe. I would stick to atf4 in the new truck, and happily use the atf3 in everything else.

Atf4 is fully synthetic, atf3 is conventional or a blend I believe. I would stick to atf4 in the new truck, and happily use the atf3 in everything else.
4 comes in mineral and synthetic.

I'll just add this. The original Dexron worked great in everything it was specified in for sixty plus years.

I'm asking about the oils I'm asking about because " that's what I got". I haven't got the majority of it home yet, there may we'll be some dexron or even some "type A" In the mix..... Won't know til Thursday or Friday when I can get out there and get the rest
I ain't looking at the first post so this may have been said before... I won 3 pallets of oil at an auction over the weekend and it's a mix... Just asking about what I know ( so far) that's in the pile.... Once I get it here and go thru it I'll be selling off what I don't want...and asking more questions about it....

The main issue with formulations that are fundamentally different is-

-don't mix them.

if you have a fresh build you can basically use whatever you want (within reason and respect to the actual specifications), just don't "top it off" with something else that's not forward/backward compatible.

Last edited:
In this case I thought +3 and +4 WERE forward/backwards compatible with each other?

-
Back