ATI dampsr causes pulley alignment issue

-

DustyDan

Reaction score
So I recently completed my 360 build got the motor In the car (73 duster). Original motor was a 340 with cast crank. The 360 has a forged crank, I had the rotating assembly balanced. Because of that I needed a different alancer. So I went with an ATI super damper. Problem is once it's on and I put the crank pulley on none of the grooves for the alt. Or P.S. line up. The sit about a 1/2 to 3/4" back. The damper is pressed all the way on. I'm not sure why it causes the pulley to sit further forward. Is the damper wrong or do I need a different crank pulley.

You need to measure it and compare it to a stock balancer.

I have some stock ones, if you measure the total end to end of the damper, I can measure one of mine...

(I'll show you mine if you show me yours... LOL!)

2 3/8" from the back of the nose to the face where the pulley bolts to...

So I recently completed my 360 build got the motor In the car (73 duster). Original motor was a 340 with cast crank. The 360 has a forged crank, I had the rotating assembly balanced. Because of that I needed a different alancer. So I went with an ATI super damper. Problem is once it's on and I put the crank pulley on none of the grooves for the alt. Or P.S. line up. The sit about a 1/2 to 3/4" back. The damper is pressed all the way on. I'm not sure why it causes the pulley to sit further forward. Is the damper wrong or do I need a different crank pulley.

Some balancers are thicker than the factory piece.

Yeah I think that's what's happening the part number for the one I have says it fits 318, 360. There is another one that says fits 318, 340, 360. Idk is the magnum motors pulleys different. I guess I will try an call ATI.

Found the problem, it was the wrong damper. Order one that said it fit 318, 340, 360. The new one was almost an inch thinner, also weighted a lot less. So I guess the other one was for a magnum, and I guess magnum small blocked have different pulley setups. Finally finished the motor swap. New motor runs and sounds great.

When I spoke to ATI about a damper for my 434 they told me that they don't make one that keep the factory pulley alignment. IIRC .140" -.450" depending on which damper you buy.

-
Back