Atlas/Craftsman Lathe Oiling for Dummies

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I bought my first lathe last year - an old Atlas Craftsman 12". Every time I've tried oiling the lube points at the small ball oilers, it makes a mess. I'm wondering if the tip on my oil can is the wrong tip for these ball oilers.

Is this the wrong tip to be using on these tiny ball oilers?? Do you have any tips for making this oil can tip seat well enough at the ball oiller to transfer a little oil without making a mess?

Here's the tip on my goldenrod oil can and the ball oilers I'm referring to:

1685298230938.png

1685298242908.png

All of the tips I've ever seen for those do not have the flare on the end. The tip just comes to a point with a hole in the end.

All of the tips I've ever seen for those do not have the flare on the end. The tip just comes to a point with a hole in the end.
Thank you. I was thinking about tossing the tip on the lathe and extending the cone to the tip and giving that a shot. I've just never owned anything with these type of ball oilers on it before. I'm starting to really like these old tools. So glad I didn't end up getting a new import unit.

Thank you. I was thinking about tossing the tip on the lathe and extending the cone to the tip and giving that a shot. I've just never owned anything with these type of ball oilers on it before. I'm starting to really like these old tools. So glad I didn't end up getting a new import unit.
I should clarify a little. All the "correct" oiling tips I've seen just came to a point, BUT they had small slots cut in the tip 180 degrees apart, to allow oil to flow out or the tip and onto the ball. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
I should clarify a little. All the "correct" oiling tips I've seen just acme to a point, BUT they had small slots cut in the tip 180 degrees apart, to allow oil to flow out or the tip and onto the ball. Does that make sense?
It certainly does. I guess with the ball plugging the hole in the tip, the oil's gotta get out somehow, right?

That looks like the tip on the can I've used for years on my 12" Craftsman metal lathe. Most of the points are no problem but a few will back up and spit it back out. I think it is more the design of the oil passage but if you have the oil can square to the port, the ball may be blocking the oil hole and making it difficult. Try tipping the can at a bit of an angle so the ball gets pushed in, but is not bearing on the hole in the tip. A pointy type tip may work ok and I have those too but I usually use those for hosing down the ways or filling cups. I like the flared one because on most of them I'm pushing the oil down the port, not dribbling it in and waiting for it to overcome the vacuum and flow.
This reminds me that I still have a few extra parts for the 12x36 and 6x18 that I need to put up for sale since I don't have the lathes anymore.

This is a problem on a lot of things. I oil my air tools that have a ball oiling point using a 3-in-one oil can and an old welding tip cleaner set. I use the tip cleaner to depress the ball, then give it a shot with the oil can. You can see the oil run in. This trick works on my lathe and my mills too. Always wipe the area around the ball clean before oiling.

That tip is what I use, works fine, except on a bad ball oiler... Ball oilers are cheap & easy to replace... Just gotta know what size... Only thing being an Atlas it may use SAE spec oilers which are harder to find than metric oilers...

Amazon product ASIN B085XKLYB4
To remove them I've always used a small metal screw & a pair of wire cutters... Tap the new one in with a punch & hammer..

Oh, if you pop out an oiler & discover old hard grease chances are someone didn't use the right lube... Makes lots of work for the next guy....

That tip is what I use, works fine, except on a bad ball oiler... Ball oilers are cheap & easy to replace... Just gotta know what size... Only thing being an Atlas it may use SAE spec oilers which are harder to find than metric oilers...

Amazon product ASIN B085XKLYB4
To remove them I've always used a small metal screw & a pair of wire cutters... Tap the new one in with a punch & hammer..
Thanks for the input. When I bought the lathe last year, I stripped it down and cleaned it all up with mineral spirits because it was a mess. The oilers are one thing I didn't pay any attention to, probably because I didn't know any better.

So if I press the oil can tip firmly into the ball and the oil doesn't squirt in, but instead just kind of squirts out around the tip/oiler interface, the oiler's probably clogged. Good to know! Not sure why that thought never crossed my mind considering ALL of the ball oilers do it. haha. I'll have to see if I can buy replacements for it. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Hopefully they aren't hard to source... I've replaced most of them on my both lathes & my mill but they are made in Taiwan with metric parts... The big lathe & mill are Jet, the small lathe is Central....

All these years I’ve had those on a lathe, chainsaw tips and air tools and used grease (special gun) never knew I should be using an oil.

Thanks for the input. When I bought the lathe last year, I stripped it down and cleaned it all up with mineral spirits because it was a mess. The oilers are one thing I didn't pay any attention to, probably because I didn't know any better.

So if I press the oil can tip firmly into the ball and the oil doesn't squirt in, but instead just kind of squirts out around the tip/oiler interface, the oiler's probably clogged. Good to know! Not sure why that thought never crossed my mind considering ALL of the ball oilers do it. haha. I'll have to see if I can buy replacements for it. Thanks again. I appreciate it.
Mine is more pointed than that ,shoves the ball in pretty well. I have always used auto trans fluidfor oilg the oilers , and wiping it down after cleaning ...

I usually look at McMaster-Carr for things like oilers. There may be other sources too.

-
Back