Attaching New Vinyl Material to Bucket Seat Back

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
The new seat covers that I purchased from Legendary for my bucket seats on my 69 Dart also included pre-cut material to attach to the bucket seat backs. The seat backs I am using are not the original cardboard style but a composite, almost hard plastic material. I originally tried attaching the new seat back material with Permatex spray and that ended up being a mistake. The stuff never dried and it did not really keep the material pulled tight. I am wondering what would be the best type of adhesive to attach the vinyl (I think that is what it is) material to the seat backs? Would also appreciate any advice on how to keep the material pulled tight until the adhesive dries? Thanks.

3M Super 77 spray adhesive, it tacks up quick and holds strong.

Spray the backing board with a light coat and let it "tack up". Spray a light coat on the back of the vinyl and let it tack up. Then apply the vinyl on the backing board and work out the bubbles and wrinkles in the material till it's all smooth. Fold approx 1/2"-3/4" of the edge of the vinyl over the edge of the backing board, should hold everything tight and snug.

Your gonna need to clean the non working/drying adhesive off your parts with naphtha or acetone. It is probably easier to get new vinyl pieces but the abs plastic should clean up easily.
You need to be using landau top adhesive or weldwood contact cement.
It will come in a quart can and can be brushed or sprayed if you have an old paint gun.
Adhesives that are engineered to come out of a aerosol can should be avoided.
They never dry and release on the first warm day. The working properties of the glue are sacrificed so it can be sold in convienent aerosol form. Good for 3M selling adhesive bad for your project when it fails to hold. And it will fail since it never ever dries.

X2 on 3m spray. AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS.

Weldwood brush on adhesive is perfect for the job. Coat both the back of the vinyl and rough up the ABS with some 120 grit before coating that as well. let them dry till they are tacky then install.

If you do it right it will never release.

I used 3M 77 to lay it down and hot melt glue on the back side to keep it tight. My originals had some staples on the back side as well! My stapler did not want to seat on that backing so I went to the hot melt glue!

Spray the 77 on both pieces and let it tack first per the instructions.

-
Back