Attempting a carb adjustment and lost all power when engine stalled

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
About a month ago on my 65 Valiant 170 I was trying to adjust the carb with my friend and it stalled a couple times because of the choke. But after about the 3rd time it stalled it's like the car lost all power to everything. The headlights don't come on or the dome light. When you turn the key, no sound at all. It's been a month so I really need to get it up and running again so I can get ready to redo the brakes and drive it. The engine/light harness is brand new from Year One and all the electronics under the hood have been replaced too. The dash harness is a donor from a 65 Barracuda I think. Before this happened, everything worked. I checked to make sure the battery cables were tight and the ground connection was shiny. Everything checks out ok. It doesn't try to start in any gear or in between gears, it doesn't make a sound. I took out the dash cluster and didn't see anything loose or burned. The ignition switch was plugged in tight and it's new. The battery was fairly new, it was a cheap one, the smallest one I could get new. Is it possible the battery could have drained so low nothing happens at all? Or what do you'll think I could check or is the most likely cause? All these items I've said I've replaced are less than a year old or maybe a little more than a year.

Check your battery connections, I bet one is loose! Also check the ground from the battery to the engine block and positive to the starter solenoid. Another problem is the fusible link near the firewall. Good luck!

Using a multimeter to measure battery and power connections puts an end to the guessing. At $10 for a cheap one, is less expensive than wasting time, or replacing parts you might not need.

-
Back