Australian Charger anti roll bars.

-

sharkbait

6 Banger Charger
Reaction score
Hi to all from NZ.

Does anyone have any experience with ARBs on a Valiant Charger?
I'm in the process of rebuilding the front end of mine, chassis rail rust and the like. I have a factory ARB, all 22mm of it (sorry, 7/8" to the majority)
This is a 6 cylinder car, so quite light. I want to retain the original torsion bars to begin with. (I prefer a more solid damper setup to rock hard springs)
Using Puhns' book I figure the original front bar is rated at about 98-100 lb/in. Wet spaghetti.
I have no data on rear bars at all. (Never even seen one fitted to an Aussie Charger, although the option code S37 exists)
I'm thinking of adding mounts for NASCAR style splined bars at each end.( As I said I have the chassis open, so why not. )
If I run a 1" solid bar through the K frame, I can loose 5 inches off the ARB arm length, and the bar stiffness goes up to something like 230lb/in. (The original ARB has 15.5" arms...)
The problem then is balancing a rear bar. The smallest splined bar I can find is 5/8" but I have no data on where to start. Too light, heavy, you tell me...

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a VH/VJ Charger?

As an aside, I will try to post some photos as I go.

Regards,

Mocked up the mounts, I decided to make provision for a 1 1/8" hollow bar as well as 1" solid. The strut rod clears at full bump, and there is good clearance through the K frame. Chassis rail repairs continue...

PICT0113.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back