auto dipsticks

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
is the dipstick for a 904 or 727 either small or big block the same ? If not how is one to tell the difference?

tubes are different between 904 and 727, I believe BB vs SB will be different as well because of the bolt patterns on the bellhousing (tube mounts to one hole, not a big deal to re-weld the tab though). I am not sure about the actual dipstick though.

is the dipstick for a 904 or 727 either small or big block the same ? If not how is one to tell the difference?

904 and 727 use different dipsticks for sure. I ran into this when I replaced the 904 in my '74 Duster with a 727 (and then replaced the 727 with an A833).

The 904 Dipstick Tube and Dipstick will fit in a 727, but the tube has to be bent differently to fit.

so if I understand correctly ...the tubes are different for obvious reasons but the dipstick itself is the same......do I have that right??

I haven't compared them but I doubt any will interchange due to the length of the tubes being different between all the varieties. Wish I had a way to tell the difference but I have never logged their lengths.

im sure you have one of each , why not just compare them side by side?

the problem is that I found a few dipsticks that are not in tubes and I don't know where they came from. They have to be mopar but I have no idea 904 or 727 bb or sb or if there is any difference. #-o

the tubes are easy because they stay with trans easier.

the problem is that I found a few dipsticks that are not in tubes and I don't know where they came from. They have to be mopar but I have no idea 904 or 727 bb or sb or if there is any difference. #-o the tubes are easy because they stay with trans easier.

Do the dipsticks have part numbers on them? If so you might try a google search and see if the # comes up.

Rani.... I believe the dipsticks will stick out the same when they are in their proper tubes... so, if you have a SB 904 tube and a SB 727 tube, you should be able to put dipsticks in them and figure it out. It should stick out about 1/2" past the end of the tube.

Rani.... I believe the dipsticks will stick out the same when they are in their proper tubes... so, if you have a SB 904 tube and a SB 727 tube, you should be able to put dipsticks in them and figure it out. It should stick out about 1/2" past the end of the tube.

I hadn't thought of it before but I bet this is right because the atf should be at the same level in the pan on all of them. Good thinking 69B :thumblef:

-
Back