auto kickdown set up on 4bbl slant

-

mopar56

Reaction score
so my son and I started the mods to the slant in his 74 duster, we are using a new Clifford Header, used Offy intake, and decided to go with a Motocraft 4bbl carb, ( believe it to be oem type for early Mustang) we chose this carb because it is only 450cfm and the price was right and my son is doing this on a price point that fits his budget anyway we tore it down yesterday and test fitted all the parts today, everything looks good, a small mod will be needed to the throttle cable, no problem, but I havn,t had a lot of experience setting up kickdowns, so what we have is the standard linkage that was already on the 904 going to the Holly 1bbl, where to we go from here? any ideas?, anyone ever use this carb before?

If you are good at doing fab work the original rod linkage can be re-worked. The easiest is to go with a Lokar cable setup for about $80-$90 bucks.Get one for the 904 transmission.

I agree with any modifications like that, it's much less of a headache to use a cable.

I was actually looking at one of those the other day in my local parts store, it looked like there was some sort of instructions inside, I am good with fab work, but simpler is better so can I assume there is some usable info inside the package to help with the set up?

here is an idea. measure the distance the stock carb moved the linkage. and make the new carb do the same. all so on carb swaps double be sure the linkage does NOT jam at wide open. i have found that on chrysler small engines if you over rev it the piston ring lands will break.

-
Back